The Walton Family Foundation is accepting applications for its Northwest Arkansas Design Excellence Program through March 15, the nonprofit organization announced.
The Northwest Arkansas Design Excellence Program aims to promote design in the development of future public buildings and spaces in the Northwest Arkansas counties of Benton and Washington.
A selection committee made up of industry experts and foundation representatives choose the projects based in part on a commitment to strengthening public life; elevating standards of sustainability and resilience; celebrating local cultures and place; and building regional capacity.
Since its beginning, the Northwest Arkansas Design Excellence Program has supported 11 design projects:
• Bentonville: "Quilt of Parks" and full redesign of Dave Peel Park near the City Square.
• Fayetteville: Cultural Arts Corridor by Nelson Byrd Woltz Landscape Architects of Charlottesville, Va.
• Rogers: Design and rebrand of Frisco Park and its surrounding open space by Ross Barney Architects of Chicago.
• Siloam Springs: 5-acre Memorial Park, including a splash pad, amphitheater, landscaped green spaces and permanent farmers market venue by Carbo Landscape Architecture of Baton Rouge.
• Springdale: Municipal campus, including a new criminal justice facility and renovated administration building, by Duvall Decker of Jackson, Miss.
• Community Development Corp. of Bentonville/Bella Vista: Schematic designs for four accessory dwelling units by Robert Sharp Architects of Fayetteville and Massengale Architecture PLLC of New York City.
• Downtown Springdale Alliance: Expansion and renovation of Luther George Park by Spackman Mossop Michaels of New Orleans.
• Helen Walton Children's Enrichment Center: 44,000-square-foot early childhood education center including classrooms, landscaped playgrounds, a "teaching garden," libraries and ancillary spaces in Bentonville by LTL Architects of New York City.
• Rogers Historical Museum: 28,000-square-foot adaptive reuse facility by de Leon & Primmer Architecture of Louisville, Kentucky.
• Thaden School: 30-acre Bentonville campus master plan, school buildings and landscape by Eskew+Dumez+Ripple of New Orleans and Marlon Blackwell Architects of Fayetteville.
• TheatreSquared: 51,000-square-foot performance arts space in Fayetteville by Marvel Architects of New York City.
A full review of current projects and detailed information about the application process are available at waltonfamilyfoundation.org/design.
NW News on 02/10/2019
Print Headline: Foundation will choose new designs to support