One dies in Lincoln house fire

Posted: February 6, 2018 at 1 a.m.

Tyler McCartney, assistant fire marshall for Washington County, looks Monday through the burned-out house at 111 N. Starr Ave. in Lincoln. One person died in the fire Sunday night.

LINCOLN -- One person is dead after a fire burned a home Sunday night at 111 N. Starr Ave., said Jay Norton, Fire Department administrator.

The woman who died has not been identified, Norton said. The fire destroyed the house, a camper and a car.

Tony Lee, assistant police chief, tried to get into the home to save the woman at 9:16 p.m. Sunday. The Fire Department was notified at the same time. Flames engulfed the home, Chief Russell Morphis said Monday.

Lee tried to get through two doors but was driven back by intense heat and smoke, Morphis said. The fire melted part of the back of Lee's police uniform jacket and singed his hair. Lee was treated at a hospital for smoke inhalation and heat exposure and was released, Morphis said.

The Washington County Fire Marshal's Office is investigating, Norton said. No cause of the fire has been determined, said Tyler McCartney, assistant fire marshal.

Two houses are listed on the property and owned by Scott and Tammy Shedd, county property records show. The home that burned is built behind an older home and is similar to a "mother-in-law" quarters, McCartney said.

No further information was available Monday.

NW News on 02/06/2018