Police: Springdale man killed mother, stepfather

Posted: August 26, 2016 at 10:32 a.m.
Updated: August 26, 2016 at 4:41 p.m.

2306 Sandy St., Springdale

A Springdale man was arrested Friday after his mother and stepfather were found on their living room floor with stab wounds and blunt force trauma and later pronounced dead, according to police.

Dustin Price, 28, has been arrested in connection with the killings at 2306 Sandy St. and a third nonfatal knife attack, according to a news release from the Springdale Police Department.

Theresa Hendershot, 47, was pronounced dead at the scene with what appeared to be knife wounds and blunt force trauma injuries, according to the news release and a preliminary arrest report. James Hendershot, 47, was taken to Northwest Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.

Price is Theresa Hendershot's son and James Hendershot's stepson, according to the news release.

Police found an aluminum baseball bat and a knife, both with blood on them, at the home, according to the arrest report.

Daniel Teyhen, 52, was also stabbed and taken to Northwest Medical Center, where he is listed as stable with non-life threatening injuries, according to the news release. He was Price's roommate at 502 Caudle Ave., according to the news release.

Price was found riding a mo-ped near 128 Spring St. and arrested, according to the report. Additional weapons were recovered from the mo-ped, the report stated.

Price faces two capital murder charges in addition to battery, terroristic threats on a police officer and residential burglary, according to his arrest report. While in custody, he lunged at detectives and said he would kill them, the report stated.

Dispatch records from the Fayetteville Police Department say Price was "paranoid" and "hears voices," and was possibly armed with a baseball bat and knife. Fayetteville police helped take Price into custody, according to the Springdale news release.

Washington County court records show Price had been committed to the Arkansas State Hospital after fleeing from police in 2011.

Price fled from police at a high speed on Dec. 30, 2011, according to the records.

After being arrested, he bonded out and his defense attorney raised a defense of mental disease or defect on April 3, 2012. Price then failed to appear for court on April 9, 2012.

He was bonded out again April 20 by his mother under the condition he live with her in Fayetteville.

The fleeing and failure to appear charges were dismissed by Circuit Judge William Storey on May 11, 2012 based on a mental examination by Dr. Robin Ross. Storey acquitted price by reason of mental disease or defect.

Ross found Price suffered from schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder and cannabis abuse, the records show. She said Price had a mental disease but not a mental defect.

Ross also found Price had a history of LSD and ecstasy abuse, according to the records.

Ross found that Price lacked the capacity to appreciate the criminality of his conduct and to conform his conduct to the requirements of the law, the records stated.

Storey committed Price to the Arkansas State Hospital for treatment.

Richard Carr, a neighbor who lives at 2304 Sandy St., said police were in the area from about 2 a.m. to at least 7:30 a.m. He said he often saw Theresa Hendershot walking around the neighborhood.

Brandon Howard, Ron Wood, Scarlet Sims and Caleb Fort contributed to this report.