Group fighting Marshallese cancer travels to Arkansas
Islanders travel to Arkansas to develop survivorship plan
Posted: August 22, 2015 at 1 a.m.
The numbers are high for an island nation with a population of about 55,000.
By the Numbers
Below are statistics for Marshallese living on the island
• 6.4 percent adults ages 50-75 having fecal occult blood test screening for colorectal cancer
• 7.8 percent women received breast cancer screening through examination or mammogram
• 36.4 percent of women screen for cervical cancer
• 60 percent of people aged 15-64 at high risk of developing diabetes, cancer and stroke
• 60 percent are overweight or obese
• 20 percent are tobacco users
• 20 percent have high blood pressure
Source: Republic of the Marshall Islands Comprehensive Cancer Control Program
This story is only available from our archives.