Hogs can't close Mizzou

Tigers rally late for first win at Bud Walton Arena

Posted: January 28, 2014 at 8:26 p.m.

Missouri guard Earnest Ross (33) maneuvers past Arkansas guard Rashad Madden (00) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 28, 2014, in Fayetteville, Ark. Missouri won 75-71. (AP Photo/Gareth Patterson)

— Earnest Ross scored 24 points and hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 1:08 remaining as Missouri beat Arkansas 75-71 Tuesday at Bud Walton Arena.

Ross scored 16 points after halftime as the Tigers survived a pair of rallies by the Razorbacks. Missouri (16-4, 4-3 SEC) twice led by as many as 10 points.

Ross' go-ahead shot was set up by his own offensive rebound moments earlier. Missouri had 15 second-chance points off 16 offensive rebounds and out-rebounded Arkansas 42-26.

Game Sketch

RECORDS: Missouri 16-4, 4-3 SEC; Arkansas 13-7, 2-5 SEC

LEADING SCORERS: Missouri, Earnest Ross and Jabari Brown 24; Arkansas, Ky Madden 20

TURNING POINT: Earnest Ross hit a 3-pointer with 1:08 remaining to give Missouri a 67-64 lead. Ross set up the shot by rebounding a miss by teammate Jordan Clarkson.

TRENDS: The game had five ties and 10 lead changes.

LARGEST LEAD: Missouri by 10


NOTABLE: Missouri won its first game in seven tries at Bud Walton Arena.

The Tigers won their first game in seven tries at Bud Walton Arena, handing the Razorbacks only their sixth home loss in the last three seasons.

Ky Madden scored 20 points to lead Arkansas (13-7, 2-5). Madden's basket and free throw with 1:59 remaining tied the game at 64-64, but the Razorbacks didn't score again until making three baskets in the final 14.7 seconds.

Jabari Brown added 24 points for Missouri, including back-to-back field goals in the final three minutes. Arkansas had held the Tigers without a made basket for 6 minutes, 56 seconds prior to Brown's jumper with 2:57 remaining.

Missouri outscored Arkansas 15-10 down the stretch. Kikko Haydar hit a 3-pointer and Bobby Portis added a putback in the final 7 seconds after Missouri had taken a 9-point lead in the final minute.

Michael Qualls gave Arkansas a 61-60 lead on a 3-pointer with 3:28 remaining. Qualls finished with 16 points for the Razorbacks, hitting four 3-pointers.

It was the third time in 10 days Arkansas couldn't hold a lead in the final four minutes of a game. The Razorbacks blew an 8-point second half lead at Georgia on Jan. 18 and a 7-point lead at Tennessee last Wednesday.

Arkansas struggled to shoot the ball consistently Tuesday, especially inside against Missouri's zone defense. The Razorbacks made 12 of 29 attempts from beyond the arc, but only 11 of 30 attempts inside the arc.

Portis added 16 points and 7 rebounds for the Razorbacks, who travel to LSU on Saturday.

Arkansas and Missouri are scheduled to meet again at Mizzou Arena on Feb. 13.