(Advertisement)

Mobile home destroyed in Garfield fire

Posted: February 3, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

A single-wide mobile home burned after an electrical fire started in the home’s walls Monday morning, firefighters said.

“It’s a total loss,” said Capt. Nick Mason with the Northeast Benton County Volunteer Fire Department.

A woman who lived at the home, located at 18626 Tall Oaks Lane in Garfield, was at her sister’s house and returned home to find smoke, said Marc Trollinger, Benton County fire marshal. She, two dogs and a cat escaped the house fire unharmed, he said.

Firefighters were called at 11:08 a.m. and arrived to find thick smoke inside the home. Fire then started from two sides of the structure, Mason said. The fire started from an electrical outlet with too many cords plugged in, Trollinger said.

Pea Ridge and Avoca fire departments also responded to the fire, Mason said. The fire was under control by 12:13 p.m.

The property belongs to Loretta J. Shipley, according to county property records, and was valued at $22,750. Trollinger estimated damages to property and home to be about $15,000.

Mason would not release the woman’s name. He said he was not sure whether the woman rented or owned the home. The American Red Cross was notified in case the resident needed assistance.

(Advertisement)



« Previous Story

Kimbrell withdraws from consideration for Fay...

Arkansas Education Commissioner Tom Kimbrell, 52, has withdrawn himself from consideration for the Fayetteville superintendent's job. Read »

Next Story »

Schools close as NWS ups Tuesday snowfall pre...

A backhoe scraps snow off a parking lot Monday, Feb. 3, 2014 at the Tyson Sports Complex in Springdale. Crews had to work to clear away snow after a winter snow dumped more than three inches on Springdale. More winter weather is expected today.

More snow than originally predicted fell Tuesday morning, and schools that had previously planned to be open t... Read »