State Prekindergarten Money Competitive for Schools
Posted: August 9, 2014 at 1:30 a.m.
Word of mouth was the only advertisement needed when the Springdale School District added seats to a prekindergarten program this fall.
At A Glance
Ready For School
Kindergarten readiness is defined by the Arkansas Department of Human Services, in part, as a child who:
• Knows first and last name, his or her own age and parents’ names.
• Counts from 1 to 10 in correct order.
• Matches a letter with the beginning sound of a word.
• Matches two pictures that are alike.
• Recognizes and names at least five colors.
• Adds and subtracts familiar objects such as cookies.
• Makes simple predictions and comments about a story being read.
• Recognizes rhyming words. such as cat and hat.
• Runs, jumps, hops, throws, catches and bounces a ball.
• Retells a simple story.
• Adjusts to new situations without his or her parents.
Source: Kindergarten Readiness List
This story is only available from our archives.