City Plans To Plant More Trees
Posted: September 20, 2013 at 5 a.m.
The city will be much greener on Oct. 26 — about 1,000 trees greener. Hundreds of trees will be planted along major corridors throughout the city. Another 150 trees will be distributed to residents that morning through the city’s annual tree giveaway at Lawrence Plaza.
• One hundred trees remove 53 tons of carbon dioxide and 430 pounds of other pollutants each year.
• Strategically placed trees save up to 56 percent on annual air conditioning costs.
• Shoppers tend to spend on average of 12 percent more per shopping trip in tree-lined commercial districts.
• Large specimen trees can increase home values by up to 10 percent.
• Tree-filled neighborhoods have lower rates of domestic violence and tend to be safer, more stable neighborhoods.
Source: City Of Bentonville
This story is only available from our archives.