Linemen to take electricity to Guatemala

Arkansans to light up 4 remote communities

Posted: September 1, 2013 at 3:06 a.m.

A woman in a village near El Paraiso, Guatemala, irons clothes after her having her home wired for electricity last year. Workers from the Arkansas Electric Cooperatives are planning to help extend electric service to about 80 homes in four villages.

About a dozen linemen from electric cooperatives in Arkansas will travel to the mountains of northwestern Guatemala in October to help provide electricity to two rural villages.

Business, Pages 69 on 09/01/2013

UA touts 2 soybean varieties as not genetical...

Pengyin Chen, director of the soybean breeding program at the University of Arkansas System’s Division of Agriculture, holds up a new variety of soybeans at the Pine Tree Research Station near Colt.

Two varieties of soybeans developed by the University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture will be readi... Read »

Belgium’s incredible edibles in city of bells

Bruges’ dreamy canal was essential to its early history as a trading center.

The medieval Belgian town of Bruges attracts hordes of day-trippers, but don’t let that keep you away. While t... Read »

The article does not say how these extremely poor people will pay their electric bills. They obviously do not work. We here in the U.S. sometimes have a hard enough time paying our own electric bill.

Posted by: qbert77

September 1, 2013 at 12:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

RE "They obviously do not work."
"They cultivate coffee all day."
"Women in the area carry bundles of wood - bigger than the women - to their houses to use in their wood stoves for cooking and also for ironing"
"The people in the villages will help with much of the work. About 12 or 14 men will carry the 35-foot power poles up the mountains on their shoulders to the spots where they’ll be put in the ground....Those poles probably weigh 300 to 350 pounds,” Evans said. “And they’ll do the same thing with the transformers. Some of those weigh 250 to 300 pounds."

If you didn't have electricity in your village, would you and your neighbors be able to install it without help?

You conservatives will go to any lengths to denigrate poor people-- even if they aren't from the United States.

Posted by: AlphaCat

September 1, 2013 at 2:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Hell, they can't even build a supply line from Gentry to Berryville, because of wing-nut liberal sickos with mental problems, like you kitty litter.

Posted by: Moneymyst

September 1, 2013 at 4:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Alpha, I did not degrade anyone, You took it wrong and I am sure I did not express myself very well, sorry. What I meant was that they probably did not go to work for a paycheck. I certainly do know that they work with the chores that they do, to survive. Which leads me to wonder, how will they pay their electric bill.

I have been to the Marshalls Islands and seen first hand, the poor do a little work for very low pay. And most of them just live in hut type home and they do not need currency to survive. They have such a carefree way of living, with few worries and no need to pay bills. This is not to put them down.. These people just live a completely different life than the U.S. Citizens.

Sorry, for the misunderstanding, but you sure do twist a lot of what people say on these post, I suppose you just like to disagree with people. I think you need to read other peoples post a few times before you post a rebuttal. MEOW

Posted by: qbert77

September 1, 2013 at 5:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Hell, he didn't read it wrong, qbert, he is evil because of no belief in Christ Jesus.

Posted by: Moneymyst

September 1, 2013 at 8:09 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

RE "I think you need to read other peoples post a few times before you post a rebuttal."
I always do. Then I respond to what they say-- as I did in this case. Convince me that your comment did not say what I took it to say, especially given the disdain for immigrants-- especially poor ones-- your previous posts show. Some of those "illegals" are Guatemalans, after all.

RE "....They have such a carefree way of living,...."
So carefree-- cultivating coffee all day, carrying large bundles of firewood, going blind and suffering lung disease from the smoke in their houses. I mean, really: they're such children.

I think you need to read articles more carefully and consider your reactions more carefully before you comment.

Posted by: AlphaCat

September 1, 2013 at 10:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

I noted elsewhere in the news that linemen from several states are volunteering to go to Guatemala for this chore.

How will natives pay for it?
Much of the electricity in Guatemala is produced by the state from mostly combustion (57%) and hydro-electric( 28%) thus it will cost the natives very little. Additionally, they will only be using minimal amounts compared to Americans' electrical energy consumption.

Very few have air conditioning and there's little to no need for heating. The houses are small so little electrical energy is needed for lighting. Hopefully it will fulfill the same need it helped fulfill in America a hundred years ago, lighten the burdens of labor, esp for women.

Posted by: cdawg

September 2, 2013 at 4:40 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

To A-cat, I will not call you Alpha, there is only one Alpha Omega and you are not it. Again you did not read my 2nd response. I said the Marshallese people were laid back, I do not know anything about Guatemalans. Please read all responses three times.

Moneymyst, you are highly intellectual and a sensible person that knows how to read what other posters write.

Cdawg, thank-you for providing the answer that I was looking for, instead of twisting my words. I appreciate it.

Posted by: qbert77

September 2, 2013 at 2:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

A-cat..........The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion” - Albert Einstein

Psalm 81:11-12

“But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.

Posted by: qbert77

September 2, 2013 at 2:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Can't wait for that one to fail. What fun!

Posted by: jeffieboy

September 2, 2013 at 6:07 p.m. ( | suggest removal )