Academy Graduates Flying High
Posted: May 28, 2013 at 5 a.m.
Airplanes, engineering and aeronautics drew them to the Air Force Academy, but graduates said they stayed for other reasons.
At A Glance
Air Force Academy
Congress passed legislation in 1954 to begin the construction of the Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colo. The Class of 1959 was sworn in at a temporary site at Lowry Air Force Base in nearby Denver in July 1955. The class selected the falcon as the academy mascot. The first class graduated and was commissioned in June 1959.
Source: Air Force Academy
The Arkansas 10
Northwest Arkansas’ soon-to-be graduates from the Air Force Academy, their home city, major, and base assignment
• Ryan Emerson Adams, Bentonville, basic sciences, Laughlin Air Force Base, Del Rio, Texas
• Robert William Ferrell, Bentonville, management, Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Okla.
• Amari Allan Holt, McRae, social science, Keelser Air Force Base, Biloxi, Miss.
• James Robert Lucky (hometown, base assignment not provided), philosophy
• Collin Eric Payne, Hot Springs, management, Goodfellow Air Force Base, San Angelo, Texas
• John Micah Rutherford, Cabot, systems engineering and electrical, Vance Air Force Base, Enid, Okla.
• Colton David Steen, Bentonville, astronautical engineering, Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas
• Michael Lee Tibbs II, Rogers, astronautical engineering, Edwards Air Force Base, Edwards, Calif.
• Jonathan Robert Weed, Fayetteville, astronautical engineering, Sheppard Air Force Base, Wichita Falls, Texas
• Jonathan Miles Weir, Hackett, civil engineering, Columbus Air Force Base, Columbus, Miss.
Source: U.S. Air Force Academy, Arkansas USAFA Parents’ Association
This story is only available from our archives.