Some Residents Would Like Lane Hotel Resurrected
Posted: March 25, 2013 at 5 a.m.
The Lane Hotel, once known as the “Palace of the Ozarks,” has been vacant for years, but some residents think the building could become a hotel again.
At A Glance
History of the Lane Hotel
• Built in 1928 as the Lane Hotel for Little Rock owner S.A. Lane, the five-story structure was advertised as the first fireproof building in Arkansas.
• In 1935, Earl Harris of Harris Bakery bought the building and changed the name to the Harris Hotel, which was known as the “Palace of the Ozarks.” The Orchard Room, added to the back of the hotel around 1939, was a popular restaurant.
• One-time guests of the Lane included aviator Amelia Earhart, boxer Jack Dempsey, and actor Errol Flynn.
Source: Rogers Historical Museum
This story is only available from our archives.