(Advertisement)

Police Link Couple To Copper Theft

Posted: January 6, 2013 at 4:11 a.m.

Washington County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested a couple Saturday after they said the two reportedly stole $2,000 of copper from an area business.

This story is only available from our archives.

(Advertisement)

Burning the plastic insulation off electrical wiring produces really nasty byproducts that pollute the air, poison the soil and leach into groundwater.

Not only did this couple (allegedly) steal the wire but they also subjected their neighbors to highly toxic, smoke from their burn pile(s), and possibly toxic runoff next time it rains. Did the neighbors notice and call in the burn? Has this happened before at this location?

Those neighbors now have health issues to face and our whole community is degraded by having a toxic hotspot at 4270 Whorton Lane. Theft of the wire hurt its rightful owner, but burning the wire hurt the entire community and will likely not be punished. This needs to change.

Posted by: FayFan

January 6, 2013 at 10:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

As bad as I hate to say this I like to see the theives get electrocuted to death for stealing copper. Sounds mean but they don't never do it again and one more bad guy off the street and we don't have to pay for their housing and meals after that.

Posted by: oldrustynut

January 6, 2013 at 1:35 p.m. ( | suggest removal )