PUBLIC VIEWPOINT: Christians Not Just In One Party

Posted: November 20, 2012 at 9:28 a.m.

I just read a letter by Phyllis Farish [Nov. 16] in which she states that the presidential election was lost not only by the Republicans, but also the Democrats and Americans in general. She appeared to be making the point that Christian values were not considered by the voters in their decision to cast their votes. Why do people make such simplistic statements?

COMMENTARY: Women's Vote Carried Obama

Finger-pointing is well under way by, for and about the national Republican Party in the wake of its disappointing defeat in the 2012 presidential election. That’s a neces... Read »

THE POORE PAGE: Make A Tradition That Has Imp...

I was in a department store recently and noticed Christmas decorations every where and Christmas music playing. “Isn’t it still November?” I wondered? What has happened to ... Read »

Looks like Tom never got the memo that god is a Republican.

Posted by: cdawg

November 20, 2012 at 9:40 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Of course God loves everyone. Unfortunately that love is not always reciprocated.

Posted by: Tankersley101

November 20, 2012 at 12:53 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

"Indeed, god created us in his image and we have more than returned the favor."
--Betty Bowers.

Posted by: cdawg

November 20, 2012 at 2:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Many persons who act as though they are the only true Christians are in fact not really followers of Jesus Christ, nor do they seem to know the Sermon on the Mount, or the Golden Rule.
They never got beyond the O.T.
The idea of partisan political religion is about as far as you can get from true spirituality.

Posted by: Coralie

November 20, 2012 at 3:16 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Well said, Coralie.

Implicit in "freedom OF religion" is "freedom FROM religion." Wish everyone would give religion a rest where it comes to politics. Wish the paper would stop publishing that drivel. But, as it is a reflection of the thought processes of a more or less poorly educated citizenry, it is at least a reflection of local flavor.

Posted by: SPA

November 20, 2012 at 3:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

"Religions are like homosexuals, the less you know about them, the better off you are."--ME

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 20, 2012 at 4:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

SPA,

The mention of religion in the paper is freely stated opinion. You can wish all you want. If you don't like the mention of religion, keep carping away. I wish people (to include myself) from all parts of the American spectrum would not use religion or God (or some's lack of either) as a weapon in our political discourse. It is a sensitve subject for many. God loves everybody.

Posted by: Tankersley101

November 20, 2012 at 11:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Before we dwell too lenghty on the Beatitudes let us not forget why some people harbor strong feelings of dislike about their fellow creatures:

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. 1 Luke 14:26

Posted by: cdawg

November 21, 2012 at 12:28 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Surely Jesus used clearer language than that. Reading the Bible literally in archaic English must lead to a lot of misinterpretation. No wonder there are so many flavors of "true Christianity". Perhaps God DIDN'T want us to be all alike because then it would be too boring?

Posted by: ajm

November 21, 2012 at 6:20 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Ah and it is *so* true: if wishes were horses, beggers would ride.

Posted by: SPA

November 21, 2012 at 7:44 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Christianity is painted with a broad brush. Not everyone who says they are Christian are truly Christians.

To be a true Christian you must first believe that you are indeed a sinner, confess your sin and need for a Savior, and ask Jesus Christ into your heart to be the Lord of your life. That's it, period. No matter what religion you claim to belong to, if you don't do that you are not a Christian.

Being Christian is a condition of the heart, not an organization. Living in a garage wouldn't make me a car.

And being smarter or dumber has nothing to do with it. Yes, Christians don't always act like we should, but that's because we are human. Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven.

Posted by: patrioteer

November 21, 2012 at 10:41 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Excellent post, patrioteer.

Posted by: Tankersley101

November 21, 2012 at 12:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Thank you Mr. Tankersley!

Posted by: patrioteer

November 21, 2012 at 4:53 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

"Greetings of peace. Peace within oneself, with the Creator and with all the creation. Learn, come to Peace and work for it by following the footsteps of Prophet Muhammad. Come to Allah through the great Prophet Muhammad." Holy Koran

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 21, 2012 at 5:15 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds
Whose breath gives life to the world, hear me
I come to you as one of your many children
I am small and weak
I need your strength and wisdom

May I walk in beauty
Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset
Make my hands respect the things you have made
And my ears sharp to your voice.
Make me wise so that I may know the things you have taught your children.

The lessons you have written in every leaf and rock
Make me strong
But not to be superior to my brothers, but to fight my greatest enemy...myself

Make me ever ready to come to you with straight eyes,
So that when life fades as the fading sunset,
May my spirit come to you without shame.

Sioux prayer for salvation

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 21, 2012 at 5:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Which of these prayers will God not hear?

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 21, 2012 at 5:32 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Patrioteer: "Not everyone who says they are Christian are truly Christians.">>

Probably, but you don't get control the brand and make that decision for anyone other than yourself.

Pat: "To be a true Christian you must first believe...">>

You may have your own pet doctrinal belief about what qualifies the category of "True Christian TM" but no one is obliged to in any way pay attention to it. Words and what they mean is not decided by you but rather is something that is decided collectively.

Pat: "To be a true Christian [TM] you must... confess your [something] and need for a [somebody], and ask [somebody] into your [something]... [etc]">>

These are all arbitrary assumptions you've latched on to for some reason but when you impose your personal definitions on others, or withhold others the right to (within reason), use language in a normative way, you are just name calling.

For instance, you may say the word "gay" means "happy" and has nothing to do with sexual preference, and 100 years ago you would have been right. But today you would be wrong. The meaning of words change over time and what they mean, and do not mean, gets decided collectively, not by you or your minority sect. We have about 33,000 different divisions of Christianity and some of them (not most of them) like to pretend they have the one true version or the one true definition that excludes those not in their particular sect. They are welcome to play this semantic game but those outside of that game viewing Christianity as a religion with many interpretations have no reason to find your particular doctrine about who gets to use the label and who does not, the least bit persuasive.

Pat: "if you don't do that you are not a Christian.">>

The oldest game in town: one flavor of christian pretending they have the direct line to truth and everyone else is either deluded or working for the "devil." It's kinda cute now but it wasn't so cute a few hundred years ago when these pious ideologues actually had some civil authority and were able to enforce their pet doctrines and then cut body parts off when people in their district didn't comply.

Examples upon request.

D.
------------
"Howl, snarl, bite, ye Calvinistic, ye Athanasian divines, if you will; ye will say I am no Christian; I say ye are no Christians, and there the account is balanced. Yet I believe all the honest men among you are Christians, in my sense of the word."
--John Adams, letter to Jefferson, September 14, 1818. http://tinyurl.com/ancmmgk

Posted by: fayfreethinker

November 21, 2012 at 9:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

As usual, we have the faux Christians who want us to believe that Jesus took a sword to working people and forced them to give their hard earned money to his disciples. These folks despise real Christians who actually help the poor (including the most recent GOP presidential candidate) because they did not give their funds to Caesar so he could take a few shekels off the top and give the crumbs to those he was obligated to help. The president and his shills prefer to exploit the poor rather than to help them. Period.

Posted by: IrishMensa

November 21, 2012 at 10:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Excellent post, patrioteer. You can say it many different ways but it comes down to what patrioteer expressed.

Posted by: goodneighbor

November 21, 2012 at 11 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Thank you goodneighbor!

FFT, nothing you said nullifies the truth.

Jesus said to him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by me. John 14:6

Posted by: patrioteer

November 22, 2012 at 12:02 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Funny, everytime I hear the words, "Come to Jesus" I reach for my checkbook. I've been conditioned that way.

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 22, 2012 at 8:05 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Since when are Christians Christians anyway?

Posted by: jeffieboy

November 23, 2012 at 9:07 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Christianity is centered around a blood sacrifice, what a grotesque idea. Something like a chicken processing plant.

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 23, 2012 at 5:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Why has no one commented on the two prayers Moneymyst quoted?
Aren't all religions the same at their core?
Instead, people can only insist on some particular language about "sinners" that does not speak to me at all.

Posted by: Coralie

November 24, 2012 at 12:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

I just did, Coralie, but all at once the page jumped and I couldn't get it back. So, I will try again.
Moneymyst, the one and only blood sacrifice needed is the blood of Christ, the lamb without blemish. God hears all prayers that come to Him through His son, Jesus Christ. "No man come unto the father, but by me". I always look for your posts, as I find you funny, but also serious. Don't worry, this is free.

Posted by: mycentworth

November 24, 2012 at 12:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

The Bible is an accumulation of hearsay evidence. Quotes from it does not make anything true to those who don't believe it. Christanity is a doctrine that requires a unanimity of belief, therefore let just one Plains Indian into heaven by only his belief in Great Spirit and not in Christ, you've destroyed the creed of millions. What about those who have never heard? Didn't Paul write that the Creator's invisible qualities are visible through the creation. Only one way to get to God, not bloody likely.

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 24, 2012 at 3:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

If the Indians believed in a Great Spirit, that was probably because God revealed Himself to them.. He is a just and fair God. He will give all a chance to believe on His son. Didn't he say he would not come back until all had heard the word? After all, He is God. There is too much prophecy happening right before our eyes to not believe.

Posted by: mycentworth

November 24, 2012 at 6:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

the election proved that the people of the USA have wisened up.
they see how the politicians use the christian religion to gain votes.
they are the worst kind of evil to take advantage of those kind and vulnerable.
we now are wise to see that those are just political ploys and probably lies.
it started with Bush who found out if he quoted enough verses from the Bible he would get the christian vote.
we now can see what happens when you have a religious state..ex. the taliban and muslim brotherhood.

Posted by: ladyLiberty

November 25, 2012 at 1:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

mycentworth says "God hears all prayers that come to Him through His son, Jesus Christ."
Do you mean that God does not hear prayers that come through Allah or the Great Spirit?
You are describing a tribal god not a universal one.

Posted by: Coralie

November 26, 2012 at 4:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Brilliant, Coralie! You said in ten words what I've been trying to say in ten posts.

Posted by: Moneymyst

November 26, 2012 at 5:12 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

There is only one God, Coralie. God isn't going to share His throne with other man-made gods. If you want to believe in Islam's god, or whatever you conjure up, that is your right. I said it before in the post, so won't repeat it about the Great Spirit. I don't know all, but one day we will. God will reach all people and they can make their choice. I made mine. Just watch Israel - God's timepiece.

Posted by: mycentworth

November 26, 2012 at 5:21 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

I think you are confusing God with the name used for God.
Dios, Theos, Brahman, Allah, Great Spirit. Ahura Mazda, Ishwar, The Light.
Those who think they know God or can speak for God, understand the least of all.
I could not believe in a God on a throne or with gender or other human attributes--like the Greek gods on Olympus.
Even less could I believe in one that acts like a jealous tyrant or an imperialist..

Posted by: Coralie

November 28, 2012 at 6:15 p.m. ( | suggest removal )