State police: trooper shoots, kills man during arrest

Posted: April 22, 2012 at 1:06 p.m.

A state trooper shot and killed a Washington County man last night after he attempted to overpower the trooper, Arkansas State Police said.

Michael Bowman was on patrol in an area five miles north of Alma in Crawford County when he made a traffic stop for a speed violation around 11:30 p.m., according to the report.

The driver, Christopher Wayne Snyder, 28, of Winslow, stopped the vehicle and ran away. The trooper chased him on foot for a quarter of a mile to the backyard of an abandoned mobile home.

Snyder refused to comply with the trooper's orders, and when the trooper tried to place handcuffs on him, Snyder started to choke the him, the report said. The trooper reached his handgun and shot Snyder. Snyder was pronounced dead at the scene.

The trooper is on administrative leave, pending the review of the incident, the report said.

Memphis man charged in mother's death

Police in Memphis have charged a 22-year-old man with killing his mother. Read »

Arkansas school for gifted students names fin...

The field of candidates to be director of Arkansas’ school for gifted high school juniors and seniors has been narrowed to two. Read »

And so Captain Lance King met the trooper at the intersection of Highway 16 and crossover road and they had a burger and decided how to write up the report so a man handcuffed behind his back could strangle a State Trooper. And then the prosecutor issued a report saying it was a justified killing.

Posted by: Hellzbelz

April 22, 2012 at 1:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Always justified. Always.

Posted by: cdawg

April 22, 2012 at 2:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Before everyone starts jumping to conclusions, why don't we get the facts. It seems like everyone is so quick to start pointing the finger. If the Trooper was in the wrong he needs to be prosecuted, if he was in the right, let it go. He has got to live with the fact he took another persons life.

Posted by: BrooklynBrawler

April 22, 2012 at 2:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Even when the "facts" are in it matters little:
"In a moment of what I’d describe as a bureaucratic lapse into inexplicable, transient unconsciousness, the Arkansas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Training chose to allow former Bella Vista policeman Coleman “Duke” Brackney to remain certified as a police officer in Arkansas.
.....
Readers may recall that Brackney pleaded guilty to misdemeanor negligent homicide after he’d raced after citizen James Ahern in a highspeed chase and shot the man multiple times after Ahern had stopped his car in a ditch alongsidethe road.

Many in and around Bella Vista feel Brackney got off awfully light in court for that killing. He was sentenced to a month in the Benton County jail and fined $1,000. But-following a probationary period-his record was expunged. Like the whole thing never even happened, except to Ahern and his family and friends.

Posted by: cdawg

April 22, 2012 at 3:16 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

New flash...
If feel your life is endanger nothing prevents you from using deadly force, whether you are in law enforcement or not.

Posted by: P5harri

April 22, 2012 at 3:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

It dont matter if the cop chased a guy down and shot him in the back he'll get off free. All you have to do is look at what happens when a cop kills someone and when a regular joe kills someone. The cop gets a month in jail at most, and then he gets his coppers license back. Everybody else gets state prison for at least 40 years.

Posted by: Hellzbelz

April 22, 2012 at 4:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Wow. This turned into a rant real quick. I didn't see where in the article it said the guy was handcuffed. It said the trooper was trying to handcuff him. The sad part is that somehow someone managed to throw the Petrino ordeal into this. Just sad. If you folks are so pissed why don't you all go to the police academy and become LEOs yourselves since you think they're all getting away with murder.

Posted by: AutopilotAR

April 22, 2012 at 9:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Good point, Autopilot and survivor. We don't have all of the facts in this case, and one of the people involved who knows the truth will never be heard from.

The bottom line here is that bad things happen when you attempt to tangle with a law enforcement officer when he is attempting to do his job.

Posted by: IrishMensa

April 22, 2012 at 10:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Temper, temper jse. Sounds like you have had some problems with the police before. Did one of the police kick your A** and throw you in jail for mouthing off to them like you did in your comment? You really need to get some serious professional help quick.

Posted by: BrooklynBrawler

April 22, 2012 at 11:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

cdawg,
I completely agree with you. My question is why did Chief Farmer not request that his law enforcement certification be taken away from him? I don't think that his record should have been expunged, and I hope no Police Chief in his right mind will ever hire this guy for any job in Law Enforcement. I think whoever hires this guy will be screwing up big time liability wise. Just cause your record was expunged, this guy has no place in Law Enforcement.

Posted by: BrooklynBrawler

April 22, 2012 at 11:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

survivor1
You would have to know Ken Farmer to understand. Bella Vista should do better than Farmer.

Posted by: continuetocancelme

April 23, 2012 at 6:34 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Brackney sounds like a perfect partner for Mcaffee. Sheriff Helder needs to hire him before LAPD gets him.

Posted by: Hellzbelz

April 23, 2012 at 8:07 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

The overall facts of this situation are disturbing to me, though. Speed violation. Abandon the vehicle and run, not shoot, attack the trooper, etc. Run away.

Trooper abandons *his* vehicle and chases the man a quarter of a mile on foot? Is that what we want our state troopers doing...chasing people down on foot?

What are the rest of the facts? What was Christopher Wayne Snyder hiding? Was it worth dying for? Was it worth killing him for? Inquiring minds want to know.

Posted by: SPA

April 23, 2012 at 5:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Sure, it's suspicious if someone runs from a law enforcement officer. But *a persons running away is not a threat to that officer's life.* Period. End of comment.

Do we want our state troopers to leave their vehicles unattended on the road way to pursue, on foot, someone who flees their vehicle? I saw NO. The only appropriate thing for him to have done would have been to call the county sheriff's department for that!

Has it occurred to anyone that this young man may have fled because of something that the trooper said or did when he pulled him over? I want to know more, much more, about this incident. I hope the paper puts at least as much effort into finding out more about this as they did with the FOIA incident with the FVL city council.

Posted by: SPA

April 23, 2012 at 10:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Typo, sorry.

"I *say* NO."

Posted by: SPA

April 23, 2012 at 10:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Don't be a bad guy and you won't have to worry about the police shooting you. If you get pulled over for something best thing to do is be nice and co-operate. The police typically will not shoot nice people that co-operate. I am glad I do not have that job because it would be hard for me not to shoot some of the scum that walks and drives our streets. We should support our police Dpt like we support our troops. They have a tough job to do and get paid very little for doing it.

Posted by: oldrustynut

April 24, 2012 at 4:16 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

To some of you people, I hope one day you really need a police officer, and I hope it takes them just a little longer to get to you to help. Oh that will not happen because they are better humans than you.

Posted by: merlin

April 24, 2012 at 7:17 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

RE-

"trooper did a super job, earns a medal and glowing praise from district attorney"

He sure did and does unless it is proven he did any wrong.

Perhaps you have a different opinion if you knew anything about close quarters fighting and you were the officer being assaulted.

Thanks for your service Trooper Bowman.

V/r,

Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 8:04 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

All cops are bad. They come from the general public. Therefore, all people in the general public are murderers. In this case there were two murderers and the cop won. Is that about right? Plus, I heard the suspect watched Walker Texas Ranger so the officer could not round house kick the guy. Any of you ever notice that you criticize the police for doing what you demand they do?

Posted by: BCGuy

April 24, 2012 at 8:17 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

"He didn't shoot him for running away; he shot him for trying to strangle him." That isn't the point. Let me try to make my point more clearly:

I am very disturbed at the actions of the state trooper in *leaving his state vehicle unattended in the highway to chase someone on foot.* And, why did the man run? We will never know from him, because he is dead now. And--here's the point--perhaps this *death* could have been avoided entirely if the trooper had let the sheriff's department handle it. Someone said that the young man was a sex offender....? So is my neighbor's son. He was convicted, served his time, and now lives next door to me, working full time and caring for his sick and aging father. People can reform. I don't know this fellow from Winslow--maybe his offense was worse than my neighbor's offense--but maybe not. Details, please?

"To some of you people, I hope one day you really need a police officer, and I hope it takes them just a little longer to get to you to help."

I have needed law enforcement assistance on several occasions in my life. I have experienced professionals who were actually helpful, without being Rambos toward the other party, and I have had a complete a**hole who, in my opinion, should have been thrown off the force. That was with the FVL police department, BTW. The "good guys" I've experienced locally were from the Wa. Co. Sheriff's Department, for what it's worth.

When I was young and walking on the wild side, I was taken in to the police station when the boy I was riding with was pulled over, and in possession of marijuana. Long story short, these cops were aggressive, inappropriate, and cruel. They separated us and told me how they were going to beat my boyfriend with chains in the elevator if I didn't cooperate with them. They were convinced that he was dealing because he was also in possession of good sum of cash--because he had just cashed his paycheck (he worked full time, second shift, while attending high school too, and received a Social Security Survivor's check because his father had died years earlier.) They *assumed* he was a dealer and that the cash was from distributing. So, I know first hand that there are "bad cops" as well as good cops, and when I hear a story such as this one...I want to know more about what happened, and how it happened.

It's easy to say "don't break the law and it won't happen to you." Maybe; maybe not. The young man doesn't have to be *dead.* The circumstances of this foot chase, struggle, and killing are disturbing to me...and at least as suspicious as the circumstances behind Petrino's crash. There was more to be revealed in that episode, wasn't there? I suspect there is more to be revealed in this one, but it will never see the light of day. That's just my gut feeling.

Posted by: SPA

April 24, 2012 at 9:09 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

RE-

"Since you're the resident expert on close quarters fighting maybe you can enlighten us to how (if the trooper's tale is true) a trained and armed state trooper can lose control of a situation so that a drunk is able to overpower him and attempt to strangle him. Sounds like incompetence to me, General. "

How is any expert able to lose control of any situation they have been trained to deal with (e.g. pilots and plane crashed, race car drivers and collisions, etc.)?

I'm not a General and I'm not a CQB "expert" by a long shot, but I'm not going to start bad mouthing our LE heroes unless they are proven to have done something wrong. That would be incompetent and senseless cop hating.

Thanks for your service Trooper Bowman.

-Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 2:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

The man is dead because he tried to fight the officer.

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 4:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

Why are you blaming the officer for the crimes of the perpetrator? Attacking a police officer is hardly comparable to accidentally losing control of a vehicle anywhere but in your delusional cop hating fantasy world.

Thanks for your service Trooper Bowman.

-Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 6:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip, look up sarcasm in the dictionary.

One thing is clear. We need better quality individuals to be police officers because everyone knows how to do their job better than they do.

Phillip, that is sarcastic by the way...

Posted by: BCGuy

April 24, 2012 at 7:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Every story Phillip smells a dirty cop. If you're so much better then why don't you go to the academy and join up. It's obvious that you'd bring stability to such corrupt police organizations.

I like your last post regarding the issue here is not judging from the outside. Exactly every post that you've brought up regarding this story and several others in the area have been nothing but armchair quarterbacking. Keeping your emotions in check is one thing. Someone trying to kill you is another. Doesn't matter how much training an officer has, there is always the potential for a situation to go wrong. It's sad but don't run from the police. Don't swing crowbars at them, Don't do what you aren't supposed to be doing and your chances of suicide by cop go way down.

I'm not going to sit here and say that every cop is good-intentioned because there are bad apples in every bunch. You however seem to believe they're all guilty until proven innocent. Even then, your comments believe there must be some coverup because they were cleared.

Posted by: AutopilotAR

April 24, 2012 at 9:23 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip1955, You stated "I know it's hard to hear someone armchair quarterback a job that's dangerous, low paying, and often times thankless." and would like to thank you for admitting you know nothing about the officers serving, nothing about what they do and nothing about, well, nothing. You sir have admitted you are arm chair quarterbacking. Nuff said.

Good job Trooper Bowman. Thank you for your service. God forbid you have to "abandon" your state issued patrol car to protect the family in the trailer again. These folks won't stand for an abandoned car in the roadway! Horrible!

Posted by: KnightWatchman

April 24, 2012 at 9:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

RE-

"You can't accept that police are responsible for THEIR actions, not the actions of the people they arrest or kill."

Negative. You can't accept that criminals are responsible for THEIR actions, not the police that they assault.

Thanks for your service Trooper Bowman.

-Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 9:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Unless proven otherwise, Trooper Bowman did his job. Suggesting otherwise is saying Bowman should have allowed the guy to choke him out or worse. Trooper Bowman was in a life and death struggle with a criminal assaulting him. Not every criminal is inclined to remain orderly while an officer places cuff on them.

Phillip,

RE-

"Must be a storm coming, the moonbats are swarming tonight! "

Did you pick yourself up on your patented cop hater RADAR?

Trooper Bowman did his job. End of story.

Thanks for your service Trooper Bowman.

-Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 10:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

It has nothing to do with flattery.

Trooper Bowman did his job.

Thanks for your service Trooper Bowman.

-Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 24, 2012 at 11:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

So, you a cop Phillip? You're comments elude to the fact you are a cop, but won't come out and say it and appear to know everything about everything. You can state for fact that Trooper Bowman "failed to do his job" because a guy he was trying to stop for speeding (and DWI it appears now) started to fight him and at some point got on top of the trooper and he defended himself?

Armchair quarterbacks are just mouth pieces who gain no respect from anyone else by trashing what someone in a life threatening situation did on a night when they were out protecting you and your family. Alone.

As for all the people complaining about the trooper "abandoning" his car in the roadway and chasing after the guy for a 1/4 mile......what do you wish the cops to do? If someone runs away, just let them? What if they just raped and murdered YOUR family? Nope, sorry, gotta let em go, the public demands it.

Posted by: KnightWatchman

April 25, 2012 at 7:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

If you wouldn't pay attention to Phillip, he would go away!

Posted by: DNC

April 25, 2012 at 8:46 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

I don't know how this thread has degenerated into an polarized argument about whether all cops are good or all cops are bad.

The question is whether a state highway patrolman should have left his vehicle unmanned in a public highway for a footchase of a man who was pulled over for a speeding violation, a man who also had a parole violation for not informing authorities that he had moved. Neither of these behaviors are sufficient to indicate that the man was dangerous enough to be pursued at such a cost! To me, it was grossly inappropriate for this officer to start the chase on foot in the first place. He put himself in vulnerable situation, with no backup, and then when the man he was chasing attacked him, he *completely * lost control of a situation *that he had created by giving chase.* And what does he do? *Kill* the man. We still have nothing but his word that the man tried to choke him, and I'm not sure I believe it. I'd like more data.

I've needed police assistance and been blessed with level headed, sensible professional response. I've needed police assistance and been lucky enough to get out of the situation with a fair shake, in spite of the original officer's unprofessional behavior. I've been arrested, not charged, and experienced extremely unethical and unprofessional behavior in a situation where the offense was a misdemeanor committed by the person I was accompanying, not by myself. I've had my fair share of experience with "cops", good and bad. In my opinion, this trooper, at the very *least*, used extremely poor judgement and placed himself at risk that was entirely avoidable. We should expect our law enforcement to have better judgement and control than this. I hope this situation gets the kind of scrutiny that the citizens deserve it to get. And I hope the family of the man who was killed retains a good attorney, for the protection of us all.

Posted by: SPA

April 25, 2012 at 8:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

"like the 3 Bentonville cops who body-slammed a young lady to the concrete..."

Phillip, this is at least the second time you have referenced this incident, however now the story has grown.

"I may be misstating some aspects of this because BPD has never publicly acknowledged...blah blah blah..."

If you dont know what happened (which you just admitted) why profess in a manner that you do??? Oh yeah... you hate cops and will make up what ever you want to continue spewing your incessant ranting of hatred.

Please... FOCUS NOW... I now it is hard for you to do on something other than bashing cops but please try.....

Ready... Here we go:
Tell us when this alleged attack on an innocent person was supposed to have been perpetrated by the Bentonville Police. I will pay the FOIA fee and get the documents.

SPA- why would a STATE trooper (who has jurisdiction in the ENTIRE STATE) turn over a foot chase to a COUNTY deputy? Is the deputy more prepared than the trooper to arrest a criminal?? I also applaud your concern for the safety of the patrol car that our tax dollars purchased rather than the Trooper's life and safety. One question, SPA, would the deputy have to get a ride to the place of the man hunt so he didnt leave his car "abandoned" as well?? Maybe all officers should have a chauffeur in case a CRIMINAL runs from a traffic stop. Then the cars would always be attended.

Amazing how both of you blame the Trooper, he shouldnt have chased, left his car, defended himself, pulled him over, done his job, blah blah... but neither of you will state the inverse. If the deceased only wouldnt have broken the law, fled unlawfully, forced the Trooper to chase him, abandoned his vehicle on the road while fleeing, fought the trooper, tried to strangle the trooper, made so many bad choices, the trooper may have not been forced to DEFEND HIMSELF and the suspect could tell his side to the judge.

Trooper, glad you made it home safe. In spite of what some people believe, you cannot control everything in this hostile and unpredictable world, and the people you deal with are accountable for their actions. God bless you and be with you and your family as you deal with the trauma this CRIMINAL put you through.

Posted by: icatchem925

April 26, 2012 at 12:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Icatch to PH: 'If you dont know what happened (which you just admitted) why profess in a manner that you do?">>

That's Phillip's dharma. Shooting his mouth off without knowing what he is talking about and before the facts are in. See his carefully worded backtrack, confession, apologetic penned here:

That boy sure does like the taste of crow!

Posted by: fayfreethinker

April 26, 2012 at 9:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

"I forgot to answer your challenge: "

Chickens, invisible knives, crewcabs, government cover-ups, hallucinations of people with compound eyes and proboscis exiting peoples faces?? All of these combined with the inability to focus, express rational thought and a tendency to obsess sounds like symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia.

If the alleged incident with BPD is so secret, why do you keep disclosing more and more information about it??

I have yet to disclose any information about my friend who was assaulted by three Intergalactic Space Cops and ended up loosing a leg by a stray blast from a ray gun. That case is being heard by the Federation and the Intergalactic Council. I am sure they will disclose the incident at the annual convention which I believe is being held on Mars this year.

Insanity, hatred, make believe........get a life Phillip

Posted by: icatchem925

April 26, 2012 at 10:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

OMG. I was on to something. Just read these quotes:

From SPA "Once one has had a paranormal experience, one has a different point of view. I'm happy to say that I've had several, and a few, with others, therefore, witnesses."

From Phillip: "My days of snarking people who believe in extraordinary or paranormal activity ended when I experienced it."

Both posted here: http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2012/ma...

And I made my other joke BEFORE reading those posts.

Insanity..., make believe.....Yup!

Posted by: icatchem925

April 26, 2012 at 12:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

it is obvious that the cop knew that the civilian did not have a gun. what was the threat to the cop was the civilian choking him. the cop must of gotten him off of him to have ample time to pull his gun and shot him -----if he had this extra time and the treat had ceased then the cop had time to NOT pull the trigger -

Posted by: nancee

April 27, 2012 at 7:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

nancee,

One doesn't have to be not fully engaged in a ground grappling situation to use a firearm.

-Tank

Posted by: Tankersley101

April 28, 2012 at 12:16 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

You know, I am getting so sick and tired hearing about this incident. No one will ever know what really happened. The only people who know is Trooper Bowman and Mr. Snyder. We will only hear one side of the story. Mr. Snyder is not here to tell his side. I am so sick and tired of listening to all the Monday Morning Quarterbacks. We can speculate from now on as to what happened but we will never really know. I am a firm advicate of Law Enforcement, but I really think we have had to many shootings in this past year. Maybe we need to evaluate and change the training the officers are receiving. I don't know if this will help. This may be the problem, but until you are put in this type of situation we will never know what we would do.

Posted by: BrooklynBrawler

April 29, 2012 at 5:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip, here is a link to the Bentonville Citizens Police Academy application. Why don't you apply and walk at least a few steps in an officer's shadow? Do you have the stones?

Posted by: patrioteer

April 29, 2012 at 10:15 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip, put up or SHUT UP! You go on and on and on and on about bad cops. Go out there and straighten out a few if you are that concerned.

Looks like a person of your commitment would want to help the law enforcement community weed out the bad apples. That is if you have the guts.

I guess we will see where you actually stand. (it's not like we don't already know)

Posted by: patrioteer

April 30, 2012 at 7:18 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Phillip,

Quick comeback....wait....what?

Posted by: patrioteer

April 30, 2012 at 8:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

By the way, when is the DG going to come into the 21 century and add an ignore button?

Posted by: patrioteer

April 30, 2012 at 8:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal )