Today's Paper Obits Digital FAQ Newsletters Coronavirus 🔴 Cancellations 🔴NWA Screening Sites Virus Interactive Map Coronavirus FAQ Crime Razorback Sports Today's Photos Puzzles
story.lead_photo.caption A bulldozer clears rubble and debris Monday at Ain al-Asad air base in Iraq. Video available at

AIN AL-ASAD AIR BASE, Iraq -- American troops were informed of an impending missile barrage hours before their air base in Iraq was struck by Iran, U.S. military officials said Monday, days after the attack that marked a major escalation between the longtime foes.

At 11 p.m. on Jan. 7, U.S. Lt. Col. Antoinette Chase gave the order for American troops at Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq to go on lockdown. Military movements froze as her team, responsible for emergency response at the base, sent out alerts about the threat. At 11:30 p.m., she gave the order to take cover in bunkers.

The first strike landed sometime after 1:35 a.m. Wednesday and the barrage continued for nearly two hours. Halfway through the attack, Chase learned the missiles were being launched from Iran.

No American soldiers were killed or wounded, the U.S. has said, although several dozen troops were treated for concussions from the blast and are being assessed, said Col. Myles Caggins, a spokesman at the base for the U.S. coalition fighting the Islamic State group.

"The reason why we pushed it at 2330 is because at that point in time all indications pointed to something coming," she told reporters touring the base. "Worst-case scenario -- we were told was it's probably going to be a missile attack. So we were informed of that."

The Iranian attack was in retaliation for the U.S. drone strike near Baghdad airport that killed top Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani on Jan. 3.

The missile barrage against the sprawling Ain al-Asad air base left deep craters and the crumpled wreckage of living quarters and a helicopter launch site. At least two soldiers were thrown through the window of a meters-high tower as a result of the missile strikes, military officials on the base said.

"These were designed and organized to inflict as many casualties as possible," said Lt. Col. Tim Garland, Commander of Task Force Jazeera and one of the most senior officials on the base that day.

An Associated Press crew touring the Ain al-Asad base saw large craters and damaged military trailers. Forklifts lifted rubble and loaded it onto trucks from an area the size of a football stadium. U.S. soldiers inspected portable housing units destroyed in the attack.

The sprawling complex in western Anbar province is about 110 miles west of Baghdad and is shared with the Iraqi military. It houses about 1,500 members of the U.S. military and the U.S.-led coalition fighting the Islamic State militant group.

The Iranian attack -- the most direct assault on America since the 1979 seizing of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran -- raised fears of a wider conflict although both sides have since indicated that they won't seek further retaliation, at least in the short term.

"There were more than 10 large missiles fired and the impact hit several areas along the airfield," Caggins said. At least 15-30 minutes passed between successive strikes, Chase said.

The attack lasted more than an hour and a half, commanders said, with explosions illuminating the landscape for miles. In interviews, more than a dozen troops described feeling the air turn warm as light filled the night sky and shock waves ripped through the air.

Lt. Col. Staci Coleman, who oversees airfield operations, described the absence of serious injuries as "miraculous."

The attack destroyed facilities that house dozens of soldiers, and one missile hit near an airstrip where six drones were parked but caused no damage, he said.

The base received a notification that the missiles were on their way, thanks to early warning systems, Caggins said, and troops were moved out of harm's way. He described soldiers who lived through the attack as "warriors."

Because of the long intervals between barrages, a few curious soldiers peered out to inspect the damage.

"After the first boom I was confused, and so I stuck my head out to see what it was," said Capt. Jeffrey Hansen, 30, from North Carolina. "The second boom blew a bunch of debris on my face."

The Ain al-Asad air base was first used by American forces after the 2003 U.S.-led invasion that toppled dictator Saddam Hussein. Facilities at the base were split with Iraqi forces when U.S. troops returned in 2014 leading a multinational coalition to defeat Islamic State militants.

President Donald Trump went to the air base in December 2018, making his first presidential visit to troops in the region. Vice President Mike Pence has also visited.

On Monday, most soldiers walked around the base without any body armor, amid large tents and street signs written mostly in English. The base was ringed by large concrete barriers blackened by the bombardment.

Chase said troops had conducted a drill the week before the attack and that they had received some warnings earlier in the day that had prompted them to move troops around the base.

"I had zero casualties and everybody is alive to tell the tale. So as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't be happier and I couldn't be prouder of the actions that the soldiers and the coalition forces took that night," she added.

Information for this article was contributed by Qassim Abdul-Zahra and Ali Abdul-Hassan of The Associated Press; and by Louisa Loveluck and Mustafa Salim of The Washington Post.

A Section on 01/14/2020

Print Headline: U.S. knew missiles were coming

Sponsor Content


COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.