Today's Paper Obits Digital FAQ Newsletters NWA Vote Covid Classroom Coronavirus 🔴 Cancellations 🔴NWA Screening Sites Virus Interactive Map Coronavirus FAQ Crime Razorback Sports Today's Photos Puzzles
story.lead_photo.caption Police lights are shown in this file photo.

UPDATE: Amador was arrested today in Fort Smith. See our story for more.


FORT SMITH — A manhunt is underway in Fort Smith for a shooting suspect who is believed to be armed.

Fort Smith Police Department spokesman Aric Mitchell said the search was initiated Tuesday by the U.S. Marshals Service. At around 5 p.m., Alex Amador crashed his vehicle near Ed Walker’s Drive-In & Restaurant at 1500 Towson Ave. while being pursued by marshals and fled on foot from there. The Fort Smith Police Department was called to assist in setting up a perimeter and searching for Amador.

“He is, from what I understand, wanted for a shooting in Springdale, and he is believed to be armed,” Mitchell said. “We definitely want the public to use caution if … they’re approached by someone they don’t know on this area of town.”

Randy Coyne, supervisory deputy for the Western District of Arkansas, said at about 8:10 p.m. Tuesday the U.S. Marshals Service was searching for Amador in relation to a charge of a violent crime that took place in Springdale, although he could not specify the exact date. The U.S. Marshals Service identified Amador Tuesday afternoon in a car with a female driver.

“We attempted to initiate a traffic stop, and the driver fled from us for approximately two miles,” Coyne said. “At about the two mile mark roughly, she had an accident. Not a critical accident, but enough to disable the vehicle. We … took her into custody immediately.”

“The target of our search, Alex Amador, fled. We believe that he’s armed. We believe that he may have fired a round during the chase. We’re trying to confirm that now. … But we did confirm he’s armed for sure. And we actually think he’s still out here in the area right now.”

Coyne said the pursuit began at about 4:30 p.m. Tuesday. The woman was released after she was detained, although the U.S. Marshals Service reserves the right to arrest her at a later time.

Sponsor Content


COMMENTS - It looks like you're using Internet Explorer, which isn't compatible with our commenting system. You can join the discussion by using another browser, like Firefox or Google Chrome.
It looks like you're using Microsoft Edge. Our commenting system is more compatible with Firefox and Google Chrome.