• Lucy Rogers, a Democrat running for the Vermont House who plays the cello, got together with her Republican opponent, Zac Mayo, a guitarist, at the end of a debate held at a library in Jeffersonville to play a duet of the Eddie Vedder song "Society," calling it "a nice way to end on a positive note."
• Xavier Martin, 19, of West Palm Beach, Fla., accused of threatening high school football players with a gun when they gathered in a prayer circle and partially blocked a driveway, was arrested on counts of aggravated assault and possessing a weapon on school property, police said.
• Dustin Merriman, manager of a building renovation project in Valdosta, Ga., said that a work crew disposed of about 1,000 teeth they found stashed inside a wall of a second-floor area that housed several dentist offices in the early 1900s.
• Anthony Torres, a police officer in North Brunswick, N.J., and two bystanders went to the aid of two women trapped in a burning SUV by bending a door frame enough so they could pull the driver out and allow a passenger to escape the vehicle that was wedged against a tree.
• Enrique Lara, 36, of Chicago and Jasmine Morales, 21, of McAllen, Texas, face drug-trafficking charges after being found with 1,262 pounds of liquid methamphetamine hidden in the fuel tank of a tractor-trailer in Norman, Okla., federal prosecutors said.
• Peter Treglia of Stack's Bowers auction house called a rare $1,000 bill nicknamed "the grand watermelon" for its ornate green zeros "the one key item that every collector dreams of owning" after the bill sold for $2.04 million to an anonymous bidder at an auction in Baltimore.
• Gary Jones, mayor of Grovetown, Ga., said the town is trying to make sure that children out trick-or-treating remain safe by requiring the 25 to 30 registered sex offenders in the town to stay at City Hall from 6-9 p.m. on Halloween.
• Jay Senger, 51, a jailer at the Taney County, Mo., jail, said that a female inmate had been "tempting" and "teasing" him after he was arrested on accusations that he had sex with her in the doorway of her cell after lockdown, detectives said.
• Alain Robert, 56, the urban climber known as the "French Spiderman," has been banned from climbing any building in Britain after he scaled one of London's tallest skyscrapers -- the 662-foot Heron Tower -- without ropes or permission.
A Section on 10/27/2018
Print Headline: In the news