Sweet Corn Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup masa harina
1 1/2 cups cooked whole-kernel corn, thawed
¼ cup water
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. In a medium bowl beat butter until it is creamy. Add the Mexican corn flour and water and beat until well mixed.
2. Using a food processor, process thawed corn, but leave chunky. Stir into the butter mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar, cream, salt, and baking powder. Add to corn flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour batter into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking pan. Smooth batter and cover with aluminum foil. Place pan into a 9x13 inch baking dish that is filled a third of the way with water.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven F (175 degrees C) oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Use an ice cream scoop for easy removal from pan.
Corn Salad with Creamy Italian Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
1 (16 ounce) cooked sweet corn
1 cup diced roasted red peppers
salt and ground black pepper to taste
fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, or more to taste
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
1. Whisk mayonnaise, vinegar, 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, water, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, Italian seasoning, and a pinch cayenne pepper together in a bowl until dressing is thick and creamy. Cover dressing with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 8 hours or overnight.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir corn in hot oil until light golden brown and toasted, about 15 minutes.
3. Mix corn and red pepper together in a bowl. Pour enough dressing over corn mixture to coat completely. Season with salt and black pepper.
4. Stir basil and a pinch cayenne pepper into corn mixture; toss.
Creamy Corn Pudding
2 pounds uncooked sweet corn, drained
3 tablespoons maple syrup
6 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3 teaspoons kosher salt (cut in half if using fine salt)
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup melted butter, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone pad. Place an 8x11-inch baking dish on the pad.
2. Place corn in a blender or food processor. Add maple syrup, eggs, milk, kosher salt, cayenne pepper, flour, and baking powder. Mix briefly with a spatula to push down the dry ingredients.
3. Pulse mixture until it begins to come together. Then increase setting to high and blend until completely smooth, 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl. Add heavy cream and 2/3 of the melted butter. Whisk to thoroughly blend.
4. Grease baking dish with the rest of the butter. Pour batter into baking dish. Bake in preheated oven on the baking sheet until pudding is browned and set, between 60 and 75 minutes depending on the size and shape of your baking dish.NAN Dining Guide Spotlight on 10/07/2018
Print Headline: That's corny!