Carrot Gelatin Salad
1 (6 ounce) package lemon flavored Jell-O® mix
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
4 large carrots, shredded
1. In a large bowl, prepare the lemon gelatin according to package directions using reserved pineapple juice in place of some of the water. Refrigerate until thickened, about 1 hour.
2. When the gelatin has thickened, stir in pineapple and shredded carrot. Cover and refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours.
Apricot-Orange Gelatin Salad
1 (15 ounce) can apricot halves, drained with juice reserved
2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
2 (6 ounce) packages orange flavored Jell-O® mix
2 cups hot water
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup miniature marshmallows
1 cup white sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded Colby longhorn cheese
1. Drain and reserve syrup from apricots and pineapple. Add water to equal 2 1/2 cups.
2. In a mixing bowl, dissolve the gelatin in hot water. Stir in 1 1/2 cups reserved fruit syrup, set aside to cool.
3. To the gelatin mixture, add the apricots, pineapple, nuts and marshmallows. Stir to combine, pour into a lightly oiled 9x13 inch pan and chill until firm.
4. In a small sauce pan, combine the sugar, flour, egg, remaining fruit syrup and butter. Heat and stir constantly until thickened. Refrigerate until chilled.
5. Whip cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chilled custard mixture. Spread over gelatin, refrigerate, and sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Lemon Lime Vegetable Salad
1 (3 ounce) package lemon flavored Jell-O® mix
1 (3 ounce) package lime flavored Jell-O® mix
4 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
2 carrots, peeled and grated
1. In a large bowl, stir together the lemon gelatin mix, lime gelatin mix, and boiling water until gelatin has dissolved. Stir in the apple cider vinegar, cover, and refrigerate for about 1 hour to thicken.
2. When the gelatin is thick but not set, stir in the celery, olives, and carrot so they are evenly dispersed throughout. Pour into a 1 quart mold and refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours. To serve, unmold onto a plate.NAN Dining Guide Spotlight on 11/25/2018
Print Headline: Desserts that jiggle