Closets can be messy. One of the main culprits is a lack of proper organization. The key to a well-organized space is for everything to be in place and to have a place.
When looking to create a closet that is organized and tidy, here are some tips to keep in mind.
- Use boxes and bins. Boxes and bins are perfect organizational tools when it comes to small items.
- Huggable hangers. Use slim hangers as opposed to those that are bulky in order to maximize space.
- Consider having your closet professionally built. These days there are many companies that can create custom drawers and shelves to help maximize a closet without breaking the bank.
- Place shoes on racks or keep them in boxes. Shoes can take up a lot of space. While many people prefer to keep shoes stacked and in boxes, depending on the number of shoes you are looking to store, racks can be useful.
- Consider utilizing a seasonal closet. Instead of having your closet filled with all of the clothing you own, why not store off-season items elsewhere, leaving your closet reserved for those items that are in season and in use.
- Utilize short and long hang bars. One key closet organization tip is to have an area to hang items that are short in length such as shirts and jackets as well as those that are longer in length such as coats, pants and dresses.
- Hang winter coats in a single closet elsewhere. Winter coats can be bulky and take up space. One suggestion is to pick a single, underutilized closet within the home, and use it for these items.
- Purge. Each season do an edit of your closet and get rid of those items you no longer need.
- Utilize the "one in one out" rule. Just bought a new white shirt? This is the perfect time to get rid of an old white shirt that is worn, perhaps in need of mending or no longer fits.
- Add light. In many instances one of the main reasons why a closet may not be used to its fullest potential could relate to dim, or poorly lighted areas, which can be difficult to keep organized.
HomeStyle on 11/10/2018
Print Headline: Tips for the well-organized closet