Avocado and Tuna Tapas
1 (12 ounce) can solid white tuna packed in water, drained
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
3 green onions, thinly sliced, plus additional for garnish
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 dash balsamic vinegar
black pepper to taste
1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste
2 ripe avocados, halved and pitted
Stir together tuna, mayonnaise, green onions, red pepper, and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Season with pepper and garlic salt, then pack the avocado halves with the tuna mixture. Garnish with reserved green onions and a dash of black pepper before serving.
Avocado Corn Salsa
1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed
2 (2.25 ounce) cans sliced ripe olives, drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 avocados - peeled, pitted and diced
1. In a large bowl, mix corn, olives, red bell pepper and onion.
2. In a small bowl, mix garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, cider vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour into the corn mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill in the refrigerator 8 hours, or overnight.
3. Stir avocados into the mixture before serving.
Avocado Egg Salad
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed
1/2 cup minced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped sweet pickles
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1/3 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Mash the eggs with a fork in a mixing bowl to break up. Add the avocado, onion, pickle, mustard, and mayonnaise. Gently smash the ingredients together until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cumin Chicken with Avocado Salsa
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, or more to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1 fully ripened Avocado from Mexico, halved, pitted, peeled and cubed
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup diced cucumber
1/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
1. In small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, the cumin and pepper; rub on chicken.
2. In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook, turning occasionally, until no longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, combine Avocado, tomato, cucumber, onion, cilantro and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. Serve over cumin-rubbed chicken with whole grain couscous or rice, if desired.NAN Dining Guide Spotlight on 06/24/2018
Print Headline: The avocado... It's not just for guacamole anymore