Greek Pasta Salad
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
2 1/2 cups cooked elbow macaroni
3 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
15 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup sliced red bell peppers
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 (4 ounce) can whole black olives
3/4 cup sliced pepperoni sausage, cut into strips
In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, basil, oregano, black pepper, and sugar. Add cooked pasta, mushrooms, tomatoes, red peppers, feta cheese, green onions, olives, and pepperoni. Toss until evenly coated. Cover, and chill 2 hours or overnight.
Roasted Greek Chicken
4 chicken leg quarters, with bone and skin
1/4 cup olive oil
4 lemons, halved
4 teaspoons dried oregano
4 teaspoons dried basil
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place chicken legs in a deep, large baking dish. Massage 1 tablespoon olive oil onto each chicken leg. Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken. Arrange lemons around the chicken.
3. Mix oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; sprinkle evenly over each chicken leg, flipping the chicken to season both sides.
4. Cook chicken in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 1 hour 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
Greek Rice Salad
1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 avocado - peeled, pitted, and diced
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups diced English cucumbers
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup sliced Kalamata olives
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Bring the brown rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes; remove from heat and allow to cool, fluffing occasionally with a fork.
2. Toss the avocado and lemon juice together in a large bowl. Add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, feta, olives, mint, olive oil, lemon zest, garlic, salt, and pepper to the bowl; lightly toss the mixture until evenly combined. Fold the cooled rice gently into the mixture. Serve immediately or chill up to 1 hour; the salad does not last well for more than a day as the tomato and cucumber begin to release their juices and the salad becomes watery.NAN Dining Guide Spotlight on 01/07/2018
Print Headline: Going Greek