Modern times create topsy-turvy notions
The year 1984 has come and gone, but in the interest of modernizing the classic mantras of visionary George Orwell, please allow my inferior attempt at updating his book of the same title for today’s environment.
“War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength,” he wrote.
Now, for 2018 and beyond:
• Hollywood is the moral voice of the United States.
• The American flag is micro-aggression.
• Enforcing immigration laws is prejudice.
• Bonuses of $1,000 are crumbs,
• Media oligarchies are pillars of impartial new reporting (and sometimes John Brummett and the Democrat-Gazette, too).
• Antifa is protecting the Second Amendment.
• White-ish is racism, Black-ish a TV show.
• College campuses are bastions of free speech and open debate.
• “Make America great again” is a white privilege expression.
• Not voting for a black presidential candidate is bigotry.
• Not voting for a female presidential candidate is misogynistic.
• Voting for the current president proves mental defect (quote by self-proclaimed critical-thinker. Can I make a haiku from it?).
• The alt Left is progressive,
• Alt-right is ….well, take your pick: Nazis, deplorable, Bible and gun clingers, KKK, single-celled life forms, etc.
• Being a smiling chum of Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam is an expression of respect for Israel (the photo by Askia Muhammad never happened, just ask the Congressional Black Caucus).
• Believing in the biblical definition of marriage is homophobic.
• “Rules for Radicals” is the blueprint for intelligent political discourse. (Bonus question: Which president was a disciple of Saul Alinsky? Hint, begins with a vowel and ends with a vowel.)
• Walls do not work and it’s corollary East Berlin never happened.
Print Headline: NWA LETTERS