St. Michael’s in LR adds solar panels
In a move to become more energy efficient, St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 12415 Cantrell Road, became the second house of worship in Little Rock to install solar panels.
The installation of 28 panels on the church’s roof was completed Oct. 20, according to Ed Wills, rector of St. Michael’s. The panels are estimated to save 1,000 kilowatts of energy per month.
“We tend to forget that we are creation and belong to creation,” Wills said in a statement. “When we forget and our relationships are out of balance, we don’t experience the life for which we were created … [and] I see installing these solar panels as one small way to begin to re-balance our relationship with creation.”
In addition to funds raised by St. Michael’s, initial money for the project was supplied by Arkansas Interfaith Power & Light and the Arkansas Renewable Energy Association, both of which are nonprofit organizations “that want to see this shift to renewable energy in this state, because Arkansas has such huge solar potential but it’s not being tapped,” said Scharmel Roussel of Arkansas Interfaith Power & Light.
The first house of worship to install solar panels was Saint Mark’s Episcopal Church, which installed 10 solar panels last year.
Church starts work on fifth location
First Christian Church of Little Rock will break ground on its fifth location in a brief ceremony at 10 a.m. today.
The congregation, which was the first to organize for worship in Little Rock — its inception date is July 24, 1824 — also became the state’s first Disciples of Christ congregation in 1832.
According to a statement by Charlie Wallace, the church’s senior minister, the move to 14411 Taylor Loop Road enables the church to continue in a “newer, more modern” building. The church sold the property where it has resided since 1962, 1500 N. Mississippi St., to Access Academy in July 2016.
The congregation will continue to worship in space rented from Access until construction of the new church is completed next summer.
Christian Church to mark milestones
Pulaski Heights Christian Church will celebrate 25 years of being designated as an open and affirming congregation — one that affirms inclusion of LGBT people — along with its 90th anniversary at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 5.
The Rev. Arnold Nelson, the church’s minister from 1984-97 and who directed the church when it acquired its open and affirming status, will speak at the church’s 10:30 a.m. service, after which a barbecue lunch will be served in Hunter Hall. Pulaski County Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen will speak at the lunch.
Thelma Mothershed-Wair, one of the eight remaining members of the Little Rock Nine, will be in attendance at the church, which features nine stained glass windows that were installed in the church’s sanctuary in 1959 in honor of the nine students who desegregated Little Rock Central High School in 1957.
Encore concert set at LR synagogue
Synagogue Agudath Achim, 7901 W. Fifth St., will hold the concert “A Band of Brothers and Sisters” at 7 p.m. Nov. 9.
The concert is an encore performance of the music performed at the December 2015 dedication of the church’s Museum of Jewish Life, according to Debi Steppach, the museum’s creative director.
Music will include Israeli folk music and Broadway tunes, performed by John and Nancy Shuffle, Louann King and Emmy winner Chuck King, with interpretive dance by Yvonne Diez Peters. Tickets are $15/adults and $5/children under 12 at goo. gl/2uoJ1f or (501) 225-1683.
Print Headline: News Briefs