It's not hard to imagine Silver Dollar City doing something new. But it is hard to imagine that the Branson theme park -- which has been open since 1960 -- has never hosted a New Year's Eve celebration.
That's about to change.
New Year’s Celebration
WHEN — 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 31 & noon-8 p.m. Jan. 1
WHERE — Silver Dollar City in Branson, Mo.
COST — $51-$62
INFO — 800-475-9370, silverdollarcity.com
The idea was actually born out of the cancellation of "First Night" events in several neighboring towns, says Jim Moeskau, director of entertainment and events for Silver Dollar City.
"A lot of families are in town for the holidays, and we have this property that is very family friendly," he says. "So we decided to try it. We just want to provide a fun, family-friendly place to celebrate."
Of course, Silver Dollar City couldn't do it in a small way.
"Dollywood, our sister property in Tennessee, just stayed open [last year]," Moeskau says, continuing to offer its Christmas shows through Jan. 1. Silver Dollar City, on the other hand, will change out all the shows just for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.
Special entertainment includes:
• A dance party with Members Only, a tribute band performing the hits of the '80s at the Red Gold Heritage Hall.
• Christian rock with the Dove Award-winning band Disciple at the Opera House.
• The group AYO, seen on "America's Got Talent," alternating shows at the Riverfront Playhouse.
• World-renowned juggler and comedian Albert Lucas, alternating shows at the Riverfront Playhouse.
• And a period-style "radio broadcast" at the Saloon.
"All 6.5 million lights will stay on," Moeskau adds. "And weather permitting, all the rides will be open. And we'll have all the great food and shopping that Silver Dollar City is known for. I think both visitors and people who live in Branson will find a fun new experience."
NAN What's Up on 12/10/2017
Print Headline: Ring In The New