Today's Paper Obits Crime Today's Photos Movie Style ON FILM: And the Oscar goes to ... GARY SMITH: Winter is no cupcake Puzzles

JENKS, Okla. -- Springdale Har-Ber was in prime position to knock off the top team in Oklahoma and perennial national power Jenks, Okla., through one half of football Friday. But the Trojans showed off their muscle in the second half, scoring 20 consecutive points to open the second half in a 44-22 victory over the Wildcats at Hunter-Dwelley Stadium.

[HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCOREBOARD: Full results + recaps, photos and more]

"We didn't make a lot of adjustments at halftime, we just really challenged our kids," Jenks Coach Allan Trimble said. "Har-Ber came over here to win and we struggled to get off the field in the first half. We made a few adjustments on defense but the main thing was we just challenged our kids."

Har-Ber built a 14-10 halftime lead, despite losing running back Logan Collins early in the first quarter to an ankle injury. The Wildcats (2-1) allowed a quick Jenks score on their second possession of the game, then buckled down for the rest of the first half.

On offense, Har-Ber got an effective run game working with Payton Copher and Conner Sikes leading the way on two scoring drives.

In the third quarter, though, Jenks came out with newfound energy.

The Trojans (3-0) forced a three and out on Har-Ber's first possession, then drove 73 yards on 11 plays for a 17-14 lead with 4 minutes, 57 seconds left in the third. Har-Ber would take a gamble on the next drive, going for a 4th and 4 on its own 42. Copher was sacked on the play and Jenks would score three plays later for a 24-14 lead.

"There's a reason that team is nationally ranked and there's a reason they've won so many state championships," Har-Ber Coach Chris Wood said. "We were close. And second possession of the second half, we're near midfield and go for it on fourth down.

"That's not on the kids. That's on me. I trust my defense. I trust my offense and we rolled the dice and I was wrong right there."

Jenks carried the momentum throughout the third quarter and built a 30-14 lead before Har-Ber got a quick scoring drive capped by a Sikes 22-yard run to pull within 30-22 with 8:08 left in the fourth quarter. But by then, Jenks was rolling on offense, adding another score with 4:50 to go before tacking on a touchdown on an interception with 2:03 remaining.

"I thought their pass rush was really effective [in the second half]," Wood said. "They really forced our hand and when you do that you've got to be really clean in execution.

"We won some and they won just more than we won."

Sports on 09/17/2016

Print Headline: Har-Ber falls short for upset

Sponsor Content