Newspapers in Education
Student and Teacher Resources | Become a Sponsor | Make a Donation
What is NIE?
Newspapers in Education (NIE) is a national literacy program that is promoted in Northwest Arkansas by the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette (ADG). NIE is designed to promote literacy, increase hands-on learning in the classroom and develop lifelong reading habits among young people and their families. NIE provides classroom sets of newspapers to teachers in Benton, Washington and Madison county schools, along with a variety of teacher tools, resources and training opportunities.
Available through NIE:
- Classroom sets of newspapers delivered free of charge
- Curriculum guides that support a variety of subject areas and teaching goals
What does it cost?
With the generous support of donors and corporate sponsors, newspapers are provided free of charge to teachers in Benton, Washington and Madison counties. If you would like to make a donation to support this program, or enroll as a teacher within these areas, please contact our Northwest Edition NIE office at (479) 684-5503 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To enroll as an NIE teacher at a reduced rate within Arkansas, or donate to the statewide program, please contact the Little Rock NIE office at (501) 378-3847 or email@example.com.
8 Reasons to Support NIE
- 1. It's a good investment for the future. Today's students become tomorrow's employees & community leaders.
- 2. It's a literacy program at the local level.
- 3. Middle school students who use a newspaper regularly in class may improve standardized test scores between 10-29%. (Univ. of MN & NAA Foundation)
- 4. Reading a newspaper at younger ages ensures developing a consistent habit that will continue well into adult years.
- 5. The Newspaper Alliance pays two-thirds of the cost of the student papers and sponsors pay one-third the cost. Every sponsor's .15 pays for one student copy.
- 6. Teachers receive free access to curriculum guides.
- 7. Sponsor recognition benefits ensure our readers in 12 NWA counties know that you support literacy & value student education.
- 8. The demand for consistent growth of the program.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette would like to thank the Black Hills Energy for sponsoring our NIE program.
If you would like more information about the NIE program, would like to participate or learn how to become an NIE sponsor, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. or call 479-684-5526. Kerry Hall our NIE Fundraising and Promotions Coordinator will be happy to help you.
Reading, a gift that will last a lifetime.