Family loses home to fire on Thanksgiving

Posted: November 24, 2017 at 1:02 a.m.

PEA RIDGE -- A fire destroyed a family's home Thanksgiving morning.

Linda Ford said she was cooking in the kitchen when she heard a sound in the back of the house in her bedroom, ran back and saw flames.

She called 911 and firefighters from Pea Ridge, Avoca, Northeast Benton County and Rogers responded. Linda and her two grandchildren, Courtney and Joshua, got out safely. Their pets -- a Schipperke dog and a kitten -- did not.

Ford said she grabbed her handbag but was not able to save her medications.

The three-bedroom house on Patton Road north of Arkansas 72 was built in 1905.

"There was a fire here in 2001," she said, explaining there was a flue fire but the house was not badly damaged. She had planned to host her family for Thanksgiving.

Benton County assistant fire marshal Eric Smith responded to the scene to investigate.

NW News on 11/24/2017