Fayetteville resident records town's history

Posted: June 29, 2017 at 1 a.m.

Courtesy photo Arichbald Yell — an early Arkansas stateman — built this Neoclassical house on the south side of Fayetteville and named it Waxhaws in honor of the South Carolina region where his friend President James K. Polk was born and reared. The house, probably built in the 1840s, stood atop a hill overlooking Yell's extensive farm. The house was razed in the 1960s, and the Fayetteville Senior Center is now located nearby.

On a late afternoon in 1819, a herd of buffalo grazed on thickets of grass sweeping across a broad, open expanse of prairie, hemmed in by mountains on the south side of what is now Fayetteville," writes Charles Y. Alison in this year's A Brief History of Fayetteville, Arkansas (The History Press).

Courtesy photo Farmers bring apples for sale to the A.C. Hamilton warehouse on Center Street in Fayetteville during the first decade of the 20th centu...

Courtesy photo Near the beginning of the 20th century, the Washington County government approved the building of a new county courthouse at the inters...

A Brief History

of Fayettville,

Arkansas

Author: Charles Y. Alison

Publisher: The History Press

Year: 2017

Cost: $21.99

Web Watch

What: Fayetteville history

Who: Charles Y. Alison

Address: fayettevillehistory.com

This story is only available from our archives.