Springdale House Catches Fire, Army Veteran Rescues Residents

Army Veteran Rescues Residents

Posted: March 19, 2014 at 7 a.m.

STAFF PHOTO ANTHONY REYES Springdale firefighters douse flames under a car Tuesday in the carport at 1311 Davis Ave. in Springdale. Neighbors said the fire started in the carport and high wind quickly caused the fire to spread. A neighbor noticed the fire and alerted the residents while another called the Fire Department. No one was injured in the fire.

Matthew Cross said his instincts kicked in when he saw smoke and flames coming from his neighbor's carport. He said he broke through the front door and rescued the two men and three dogs inside.

This story is only available from our archives.