Posted: June 19, 2014 at 2:13 a.m.
Elsewhere in entertainment and the arts:
Branson on the Road -- Debbie Horton, guitar, mandolin and banjo; Donnie Wright, fiddle; and Brian Capps, bass, all of whom share vocal duties -- performs Americana, bluegrass, classic country, rockabilly and gospel tunes at 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday at Pine Bluff Community Theatre, 207 West Ave., Pine Bluff. Tickets are $40, $35 and $30. Call (870) 535-2646 or visit pbcommunitytheatre.org.
Big band dance
The Stardust Big Band puts on its monthly big-band dance at 3 p.m. Sunday in the Crystal Ballroom at the Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, 239 Central Ave., Hot Springs. Admission is $8, free for high school students; formal attire, coats and ties aren't necessary. Call (501) 767-5482 or visit stardustband.net.
Making a scene
It's a busy weekend for central Arkansas theaters:
• The Arkansas Shakespeare Theater opens its third and final summer production, William Shakespeare's Hamlet, at 7:30 p.m. Friday, in the Donald W. Reynolds Performance Hall, University of Central Arkansas, 201 Donaghey Ave., Conway, with additional performances at 7:30 Tuesday , June 26 and 28 and 2 p.m. Saturday and June 29. Meanwhile, performances continue of the musical Pippin (music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, book by Roger O. Hirson) at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and June 27 and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $28, $23 for senior citizens, students and active military members. And you can attend a second wave of Shakespeare's Two Gentlemen of Verona at 7:30 p.m. today, Saturday and Sunday, outside the William F. Laman Public Library System's Argenta branch, 400 block of Main Street, North Little Rock. Pay what you can (suggested donation is $15). Call (866) 810-0012 or visit arkshakes.com.
• Speaking of Shakespeare, Benton-based Saline County Shakes continues its run of the Bard's comedy Much Ado About Nothing at 7 p.m. today-Saturday in the Juli Busken Memorial Amphitheater, Tyndall Park, 914 E. Sevier St., Benton. Admission is free; take cushions, blankets and snacks. Call (501) 317-8281 or email email@example.com; they'll post weather cancellations at facebook.com/SalineCountyShakes.
• And even more Shakespeare, more or less: The Compleat Wrks of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged) continues through June 29 at Arkansas Repertory Theatre, Sixth and Main streets, Little Rock -- 7 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2 and 7 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $25-$40. Call (501) 378-0405 or visit therep.org/attend.
• The fledgling Studio Theatre, 320 W. Seventh St., Little Rock, continues its run of the musical You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (book, music and lyrics by Clark Gesner, based on Charles Shulz's comic strip Peanuts), 7:30 p.m. today-Saturday and June 26-28 and 5 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $18. Call (501) 374-2048.
• Murry's Dinner Playhouse, 6323 Colonel Glenn Road, closes out its run of A Second Helping: The Church Basement Ladies Sequel (music and lyrics by Drew Jansen and Dennis Curley, book by Greta Grosch) with performances at 7:45 p.m. today-Saturday. Doors and the buffet open 90 minutes before curtain. Tickets are $31-$35, $23 for children 15 and younger; show only, $25, $15 for children. Call (501) 562-3131 or visit murrysdinnerplayhouse.com.
• And it's also the final weekend for the musical Caroline, or Change (music by Jeanine Tesori, book and lyrics by Tony Kushner) at the Weekend Theater, Seventh and Chester streets, Little Rock -- 7:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 2:30 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $20, $16 for senior citizens 65 and older and students. Call (501) 374-3761 or visit weekendtheater.org.
Weekend on 06/19/2014