Historic Rabbits Foot Lodge To Benefit Springdale Residents
Lodge Was Home To U.S. Sen. J. William Fulbright
Posted: June 2, 2014 at 1:30 a.m.
SPRINGDALE -- The sound of flowing water and birds in the trees are among the first things one notices at Rabbits Foot Lodge.
History Of Rabbits Foot Lodge
• 1908-1909: Charles and Edith Perkins build the lodge.
• 1934-1946: J. William Fulbright and his family owned and lived in the lodge. He sold it after he went to Washington, as a a U.S. senator.
• 1945: The annual picnic of the Coca-Cola bottling company was hosted at the lodge.
• 1954-1969: Tate Brady owned the lodge.
• 1973-1983: Dick and Margaret Lester owned the lodge.
• 1983: David and Karen Buckley owned the lodge.
• 1984: Mike and Karen Morton owned the lodge.
• 1986: The lodge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
• 2014: The city of Springdale bought the lodge.
Source: Shiloh Museum of Ozark History
Rabbits Foot Lodge
• The lodge is surrounded by white oak, magnolia and catalpa trees.
• The natural spring on the property was once the main water source for Springdale.
• U.S. Sen. J. William Fulbright dammed the spring to create a pool for his children to swim in.
• When the lodge was built between 1908 and 1909, it was the largest building in the area. Businessmen and the Springdale City Council used it as a meeting place.
• All of the logs and stone used to build the lodge came from the property.
Source: Staff Report
This story is only available from our archives.