(Advertisement)

Motel Room Catches Fire, Man Found Dead

Posted: January 10, 2014 at 5 a.m.

Washington County crime scene investigators prepare to enter unit 120 of the Hi-Way Inn Motel on College Avenue in Fayetteville Thursday afternoon after a man was found dead after a fire in the unit. A cleaning woman discovered the fire when she opened the door and saw black smoke billowing out, with the man on the bed and the mattress on fire. The death will be handled as a homicide until investigators can rule out that possibility.

A man died in a motel room that caught fire Thursday.

At A Glance

Fatal Fires

• The last fatal fire in Washington County happened June 5 when lightning struck the home of 86-year-old Billie Marie Kidd. The home was on Kate Smith Street in Lincoln.

• In Benton County, 84-year-old Eva Simpson died July 30 in a house fire at 5801 Arkansas 94. A short circuit in a hallway between the kitchen and a bedroom started the fire.

• A home at 24692 Cherokee Road in northern Benton County burned to the ground in March. Joyce Boyle, who was in her mid-70s, died in the fire that started in the chimney of a wood-burning stove.

Source: Staff Report

This story is only available from our archives.

(Advertisement)



« Previous Story

Greenland Moves Ahead With Football Field Imp...

Plans to renovate the football facilities took a step forward Thursday when the School Board approved a contract for the preliminary dirt work. Read »

Next Story »

Attendance Slim At Benton County Ambulance Fo...

A town hall meeting to discuss Benton County’s plan to pay for rural ambulance service drew a small number of familiar faces to the community building Thursday night. Read »