Lowell Animal Shelter Makes It A Violation To Misrepresent Animal Origin
Posted: August 11, 2014 at 1:31 a.m.
LOWELL -- Aldermen recently approved an ordinance making it a misdemeanor to knowingly take an animal to the Lowell Animal Shelter that wasn't found in the city limits.
Animal Shelter Statistics
• 7.6 million companion animals enter shelters nationwide every year. Of those, 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
• Each year, 2.7 million animals are euthanized: 1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats.
• 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year: 1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats.
• About 649,000 animals that enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and 100,000 are cats.
• Of the dogs entering shelters, 35 percent are adopted, 31 percent are euthanized and 26 percent of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.
• Of the cats entering shelters, 37 percent are adopted, 41 percent are euthanized and less than 5 percent of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.
• About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.
Source: American Society For the Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals
This story is only available from our archives.