Sonora Elementary School Project Flies From Northwest Arkansas To Kentucky
Posted: April 9, 2014 at 5 a.m.
Josh Worthy and his students expected the weather balloon they launched Saturday to land near Mountain Home in north-central Arkansas.
• The National Weather Service launches about 75,000 weather balloons each year.
• The National Weather Service launched weather balloons from 102 sites throughout the U.S., Caribbean and Pacific.
• The white boxes the National Weather Service attaches to their balloons are called radiosondes, which are battery-powered instruments.
• The National Weather Service recovers less than 20 percent of the radiosondes they launch with their balloons each year.
• The National Weather Service started using radiosondes in the late 1930s.
• Data from the radiosondes is used for weather predication models, local severe storm forecasts, climate change research and air pollution models.
Source: National Oceanic And Atmospheric Administration
This story is only available from our archives.