Posted: September 6, 2013 at 4:52 a.m.
100 YEARS AGO Sept. 6, 1913 HOT SPRINGS — Glowing embers, twisted masses of iron and steel, smoking ruins interspersed with an occasional patch where the flames are still throwing up a white light to dispel the shadowy gloom that has fallen, cover an area one and one-quarter miles east and west and at least half a mile north and south, the result of a fire that originated in the rear of a negro shanty a few hours ago. Hot Springs, the mecca of the Southwest, sustained a loss placed at $10,000,000 with the burned territory covering 50 blocks, 25 of which contained the palatial residences of the city. Five thousand persons were made homeless.
This story is only available from our archives.
Arkansas, Pages 14 on 09/06/2013