Getting Across The Street
Pedestrian Deaths Increasing In Northwest Arkansas
Posted: November 3, 2013 at 5 a.m.
The August grass along U.S. 71B in Rogers was overgrown, and the road had no sidewalk, so Jose Villatoro-Munguia decided to walk along the roadside. His body was thrown 60 feet when a vehicle struck him near 2305 S. Eighth St.
By The Numbers
• People 65 or older accounted for 19 percent of all pedestrian fatalities nationally and had the highest fatality rate among pedestrians hit.
• Alcohol involvement for either the driver or pedestrian was reported in about 48 percent of traffic crashes where a pedestrian died.
• About 32 percent of pedestrian fatalities in crashes happened between 8 p.m. and 11:59 p.m.
• Children ages 15 years old and younger accounted for 6 percent of the pedestrian fatalities in 2011 and 19 percent of all pedestrians injured in traffic crashes.
Source: U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
• 8:57 a.m., Sept. 12: Rosa Malonado, 71, of Springdale, is in a crosswalk at the intersection of Thompson Street and Oak Avenue in Springdale when one vehicle strikes the rear of another vehicle, pushing the car into her.
• 9:40 p.m., Aug. 17: Jose J. Villantoro-Munguia, 32, of Rogers is struck by a vehicle as he walks down the side of South Eighth Street near Callahan Drive in Rogers. He had decided not to wait for a ride from family.
• 10:06 p.m., Aug. 1: Gilbert Flores, 34, of Fayetteville is hit by two vehicles while trying to cross North College Avenue near Shepherd Drive in Fayetteville. He had just left Hooters restaurant.
• 2:30 p.m., July 1: Gary Todd O’Neal, 52, dies 11 days after he is struck by a vehicle while trying to cross Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard between Sang and Lewis avenues in Fayetteville. The car that hit O’Neal sped away instead of stopping. Maurice Deshaun Evans, 22, pleaded guilty in October to leaving the scene of a death or injury and was sentenced to five years probation and 120 days in jail.
• 5:54 p.m., Nov. 22: Truman Lewis Patterson of Seligman, Mo., 74, is crossing Thompson Street near Searcy Avenue in Springdale when a vehicle hits him. He was leaving the parking lot of McDonald’s.
• 9:24 p.m., Aug. 11, 2012: Patricia “Patsy” Louise Nugent of Springdale, 60, tries to cross Thompson Street near Lakeview Drive in Springdale. A pickup ran over her after she stepped into the roadway.
Source: Fayetteville, Rogers, Bentonville and Springdale police departments, accident and incident reports for 2011-present. Bentonville reported no fatalities during the time frame.
This story is only available from our archives.