More To Explore Underground
Project Brings Accesses To Cavern Room, Lagoon
Posted: May 29, 2013 at 5 a.m.
Visitors to War Eagle Cavern now see part of the cave only belly-crawling, mud-covered spelunkers have explored.
By The Numbers
• 30: Number of charges of dynamite required to complete the tunnel.
• 8 to 10: Number of sticks of dynamite per charge. Also the number of tons of rock loosened per charge.
• 300: Total tons of rock removed from the cave.
• 10: Height of the tunnel in feet.
• 12: Width of the tunnel in feet.
• 3: Number of months it took a crew of seven to build the tunnel.
• 1: Number of movies filmed in War Eagle Cavern. “Frank and Jesse” was shot partly in War Eagle Cavern in 1994. Actors included Rob Lowe and Randy Travis.
• 58: The average Fahrenheit temperature inside the cave.
• 60: Number of minutes visitors spend on the cave tour.
• 4: Known miles of passages that make up the cave.
• 479-789-2909: Phone number for War Eagle Cavern information. Or visit www.wareaglecavern.com.
Source: Staff Report
This story is only available from our archives.