Paying To Play
Travel, Select Teams Come With High Pricetag
Posted: July 14, 2013 at 5 a.m.
Some parents in Northwest Arkansas point to better competition as the main reason their children play sports in travel leagues.
The Cost (w/logo)
Ozark Juniors Volleyball
The cost for Ozark Juniors Volleyball club team for the 2012-13 season:
• Local 10 & Under -12 & Under: $550, includes one out-of-state tournament
• Regional: $800, includes one or two out-of-state tournaments
• Regional Plus: $950, includes one national level tournament
• National: $1,400, includes travel and competition at highest level.
Team costs can be made through three monthly payments for local teams, four payments for regional and regional plus teams and five payments for national teams in order to ease financial burden. Payments were made in November through January (February for regional and regional plus, March for national).
If payments weren’t made on time, a player could be held from practice or tournament opportunities until the account was corrected, and parents were still responsible for team costs even if their child left the program. Players who were injured may have their payments adjusted on an individual basis.
Amateur Athletic Union Basketball
Jan. 1, 1888: Amateur Athletic Union was formed
• 1897: AAU conducts first national men’s basketball championship, won by the 23rd Street YMCA of New York City
• 1926: First AAU women’s national basketball championship held and won by the Pasadena Athletic and Country Club
• 1972: AAU holds first boys and girls national championships. Six age group championships were established by the end of the decade
• 1978: Congress passes the Amateur Sports Act, which turned the AAU away from Olympic sports and helped turn its focus toward youth sports
• 1989: AAU basketball expanded to national championships in 13 age groups.
• 1994: AAU headquarters moved to Lake Buena Vista, Fla., after a 30-year alliance was established between the organization and Walt Disney World. Because of that alliance, many AAU national championships are played at the Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista
At A Glance (SEE JOHN FOR THIS ONE)
SPORT^DIV. I^DIV. II^NAIA^NJCAA
This story is only available from our archives.