Officials Aim To Repeal Wage Scale

Posted: January 19, 2013 at 3:58 a.m.

Benton County Judge Bob Clinard and state Rep. Dan Douglas, R-Bentonville, will promote legislation to abolish Arkansas’ prevailing wage scale. The scale sets pay rates for workers on government-funded construction projects.

At A Glance

Prevailing Wage Scale

Purpose and Scope

(a) These rules and regulations are promulgated by the Arkansas Department of Labor pursuant to the authority granted by Ark. Code Ann. § 22-9-307 (1987). These rules and regulations are applicable under the minimum prevailing wage law, Ark. Code Ann. §§ 22-9-301 through -313 (1987), which provides that a wage of not less than the minimum prevailing hourly rate of wage for work of a similar character in the county in which the work is performed shall be paid to all workmen employed by or on behalf of any public body engaged in the construction of public works, exclusive of maintenance work.

(b) The purpose of these regulations is to set forth the procedure for making and applying prevailing wage determinations; to detail the obligations of contractors, subcontractors and public bodies; to set forth the procedures for the administration and enforcement of the minimum prevailing wage law; and to set forth the procedures or rules of practice for administrative proceedings under the minimum prevailing wage law.

(c) These regulations apply to the construction of all public works where the cost of all labor and material exceeds seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000.00). (d) These regulations do not apply to:

(1) The construction of public works where the cost of all labor and material is seventy-five thousand dollars ($75,000.00), or less;

(2) Maintenance work performed by or on behalf of a public body;

(3) Any work done for or by any drainage, improvement, or levee district;

(4) Workers who are employed as part-time or full-time employees of any public body;

(5) Highway, road, street, or bridge construction and maintenance or related work contracted for or performed by incorporated towns, cities, counties, or the Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department; and

(6) Any public school construction, unless federal matching funds are employed in paying for the construction.

Source: Arkansas Department Of Labor

This story is only available from our archives.