Opera Renovation Ongoing
Building To Be Restored To Original Splendor Within A Year
Posted: February 21, 2013 at 5 a.m.
Demolition of the interior of the former opera house in downtown is nearly done, the building owner said Monday.
At A Glance
Built in 1890 the lower floors were used for retail business with the opera house and office space upstairs.
• For many years, Rogers and other high schools staged senior plays in the building.
• Traveling shows played at the opera house around the turn of the century.
• Opera house attendance fell in the 1930 when talking movies became the rage.
• Part of the stage was torn out and a boxing ring installed in an effort to save the opera house, but failed and the opera house closed in the mid-1930s.
• The opera house has been unused since it closed.
Source: Staff Report
This story is only available from our archives.