(Advertisement)

Icy Expectations

Drivers Asked To Stay Off Possibly Slick Roads

Posted: February 21, 2013 at 5 a.m.

Rick Garrison, left, and Dan Kondik walk in a heavy snowfall Wednesday along Northwest A Street in Bentonville while headed downtown for lunch. The two said they weren’t going to let the winter weather interrupt their daily walk. Bentonville received about an inch of snow as the first round of a two-punch winter storm rolled through Northwest Arkansas before noon. More photos available at photos.nwaonline.com.

Emergency services personnel urged Benton County residents to stay off roads this morning if at all possible after an overnight ice storm was expected to hit the area.

At A Glance

Weather Watch

To Report Electrical Outages

• Ozarks Electric Cooperative, www.ozarksecc.com, 800-521-6322

• Southwestern Electric Power Co., www.swepco.com, 888-218-3919

• Carroll Electric Cooperative, www.carrollecc.com, 800-432-9720

• Bentonville Electric Department, www.bentonvillear.com, 479-271-3135; 800-286-1262 after 4 p.m.

• Siloam Springs Electric Department, 479-524-3777, days; 479-524-4118, nights.

To Report Emergency

• Source Gas, www.sourcegasarkansas.com; 800-563-0012

For Road Conditions

• Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department

www.arkansashighways.com

800-245-1672 or 501-569-2374

• Oklahoma Department of Public Safety

www.dps.state.ok.us

888-425-2385

• Missouri Department of Transportation

www.modot.org

800-222-6400

• Kansas Department of Transportation

www.ksdot.org

800-585-7623

• National Weather Service

www.nws.noaa.gov

Tulsa, Okla., 918-832-4116 or 918-838-7838

North Little Rock 501-834-0308

Source: Staff Report

At A Glance

Tips For Using Generators

• Do not connect generator directly to home wiring.

• Never plug a portable electric general into a regular household outlet. Connect individual appliances that have outdoor-rated power cords to receptacle outlet of the generator or use a heavy-duty outdoor-rated extension cord.

• Do not overload generator. Overloading a generator can damage appliances.

• Never use a generator indoors or in an attached garage. Generators emit deadly carbon monoxide.

• Make sure generator is grounded.

• Do not store fuel indoors or try to refuel a generator while it is running.

• Turn off all equipment powered by generator before shutting down generator.

Source: Rogers Fire Department

This story is only available from our archives.

(Advertisement)



« Previous Story

Harps Food Stores Continues Expansion

Kira Hungate of West Fork, left, pays for groceries Wednesday while shopping with her son, Colton, 6, and daughter, Kaite, 4, as Harps employee Paige Blakemore, right, operates the cash register at the newly opened store in West Fork.

Harps Food Stores continued to expand its footprint when it opened its 72nd store Wednesday in West Fork. Read »

Next Story »

Bella Vista Man Sues Association

A Bella Vista man filed a lawsuit against the Property Owners Association on Wednesday. Read »