(Advertisement)

Springdale House Fire Caused By Space Heater

Posted: December 12, 2013 at 5 a.m.

A house fire at 1013 Porter Ave. on Tuesday morning was the second in Springdale caused by a space heater in a seven-day span, said Duane Miller, fire marshal.

By The Numbers

Heating Fires

Estimates for home heating-related fires in the United States:

2004: 70,000 fires, 670 deaths

2005: 65,000 fires, 730 deaths

2006: 64,000 fires, 540 deaths

2007: 66,000 fires, 580 deaths

2008: 66,000 fires, 480 deaths

2009: 59,000 fires 480 deaths

2010: 57,000 fires, 490 deaths

2011: 54,000 fires, 400 deaths

Source: www.nfpa.org

At A Glance

Safety Tips

Keep heaters at least 3 feet away from combustible material.

Turn heaters off when leaving home or going to sleep.

Plug heaters into a wall outlet, not into an extension cord.

Check the heater’s cord on a regular basis for frayed wires or damaged insulation.

Check outlet on a regular basis to see if it’s hot.

Place heaters on a flat surface and not on furniture.

Make sure the heater has a secure base.

Check for a mark on the heater that means it meets safety standards (like “UL”).

Test smoke detectors on a monthly basis.

Source: Staff Report

This story is only available from our archives.

(Advertisement)



« Previous Story

JPs’ first vote OKs costlier water park

Fort Smith city directors and Sebastian County Quorum Court members have agreed to consider appropriating an additional $800,000 for the proposed aquatic center to avoid de... Read »

Next Story »

Springdale Man Arrested In Rape Case

Figueroa

A man who said he had been deported once has been arrested in connection with a rape charge, according to auth... Read »