Date Change Provokes Controversy
Enrollment Date Pushed Back for Senior Citizens at NWACC
Posted: December 8, 2013 at 5 a.m.
A policy change rolling into place with the spring semester will delay enrollment for students age 60 and older who take classes tuition-free at NorthWest Arkansas Community College.
At A Glance
Policies vary among the five schools with the largest number of 60 and older students for credit, as tracked by the Arkansas Department of Higher Education. Numbers represent students taking classes for credit this fall who were 60 by July 1.
• University of Arkansas Little Rock, 253. Senior citizen registration is the Friday before classes start through the next Friday by 4 p.m.
• Pulaski Technical College, Little Rock, 221. Recent policy change means senior students will enroll the last week before registration closes.
• National Park Community College, Hot Springs, 143, No separate enrollment date .
• University of Arkansas, 127, Senior enrollment begins the Friday before classes start.
• East Arkansas Community College, Forrest City, 113, East Arkansas Community College doesn’t list any specific deadline. The school offers a 50 percent reduced tuition for students 50-59.
• Northwest Technical Institute, Springdale, none, Students 60 and older are exempt from tuition, but required to pay for fees and textbooks.
Source: Staff Report
This story is only available from our archives.