GOPAC to support Republicans in six statehouse races
Posted: October 17, 2012 at 11:17 a.m.
A Republican fundraising organization says it will offer support for six GOP candidates for statehouse races in Arkansas as the party attempts to win a majority for the first time since Reconstruction.
GOPAC President David Avella said his organization is targeting the following races and is making the maximum $2,000 donation to each Republican candidate:
- Republican Rep. Linda Collins-Smith over Democrat Sen. David Wyatt Senate District 19
- Republican Rep. Jane English over Democrat Rep. Barry Hyde in Senate District 34
- Republican Rep. Sen. Jason Rapert over Democrat Rep. Linda Tyler in Senate District 35
- Republican Rep. Allen Kerr over Democrat Barbara Graves in House District 32
- Republican Mary Bentley over Democrat Rep. John Catlett in House District 73
- Republican Bill Gossage over Democrat Rep. Leslee Milam Post in House District 82
Avella presented each of the candidates with a check during a news conference Wednesday at Republican headquarters in Little Rock.
"There is no state higher on our priority list than this state right here," Avella said. "... By electing these six and by electing Republicans to the House and Senate majority, we have an opportunity to make historic change here in the state."
Avella said it remains to be determined if GOPAC will support other Republican candidates in addition to the six identified Wednesday.
Read tomorrow's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette for full details.