Paper Celebrates 125 Years

Recorded Growth of City, State and Country Over the Years

Posted: December 22, 2012 at 4 a.m.

Groundbreaking ceremony for the Springdale Morning News office on Lowell Road in 1991

The first issue of The Springdale News came off the press in 1887, 125 years ago. Readers of the paper that first year would have known Grover Cleveland was president, Queen Victoria ruled England and Doc Holliday, of OK Corral fame, had died in Colorado.

Time Line

Springdale Morning News

1825: John and Mary Fitzgerald first settlers in Springdale

1840: Area becomes known as Shiloh

1872: Post office established with name of Springdale

April 1, 1878: Springdale incorporates as a town

1881: Frisco Railroad reaches Springdale

May 7, 1888: First issue of The Springdale News published

1900: Newspaper circulation tops 1,200

March 1903: The Springdale News offices move to Emma Avenue

1908: Electricity comes to city

1917: Springdale’s Company A National Guard sent to World War I

1922: Springdale water system online

1930: A paved U.S. 71 to Alma opens

Sept. 24, 1933: Original News owner John Stafford dies

September 1933: Marty Stafford becomes newspaper publisher

May 22 1938: Spring Creek floods downtown

July 1, 1945: First Rodeo of the Ozarks held

March 1946: Springdale becomes city of first class

June 1948: News publishes three times a week

June 6, 1949: Publication goes to five week days a week

Sept. 9, 1949: First radio station, KBRS, opens

1955: Bob Sanders purchases stock in News

1957: Marty Stafford dies, wife Glaphyra Stafford new publisher

1958: Sanders family purchases all of paper

1962: Bob Sanders retires, sells to brothers and sister-in-law

1965: Urban Renewal begins in downtown Springdale

1968: New offset press installed in Mill Street Building

June 1, 1970: Tornado rips through city, killing one man

1970: News moves to old Jones Terminal Building

1972: Sunday edition added

1973: Donrey Media purchases The Springdale News

1978: Charles McKinney starts first term as mayor, serves 20 years

1982: Charles Sanders retires, last of family to leave paper

1988: Sharing of Springdale and Rogers news copy begins

1990: New press building opens on Lowell Road

1990: Paper switched to morning publication

1992: New office building on Lowell Road opens

1992: Saturday edition added

1992: News’ Fayetteville office opened

1993: Stephens Media purchases Donrey

November 1994: Rogers and Springdale papers merge, forming Morning News of Northwest Arkansas

February 2001: Paper becomes The Morning News, publishes four zoned editions

January 2009: Ice storm hits city, power out up to five days, newspaper production temporarily moves to Rogers

November 2009: Northwest Arkansas Newspapers, Springdale Morning News’ parent company, formed by Stephens Media and WEHCO Media

SOURCE: Staff Repot

This story is only available from our archives.