Mountie Stadium Renamed
Whitey Smith Honored For Supporting Youth
Posted: December 19, 2012 at 2:23 a.m.
Mountie Stadium has a new name. Whitey Smith was honored Tuesday night for the more than $1 million he has raised for Rogers youth through his chicken cooks. Rogers School Board members voted to name the stadium after Smith, a 50-year fixture of Saturday morning chicken cooked in a pit at the corner of Second and Locust streets.
At A Glance
Smart Core requirements*:
• English, four units
• Oral communication, half unit
• Mathematics, four units to include Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II and either pre-calculus, calculus, trigonometry, statistics, Algebra III or advanced placement mathematics
• Natural science, three units with lab with options of physical science, biology, chemistry or physics
• Social studies, three units — world and U.S. history are required, but students have the option of a unit of civics or a mix of a half unit of civics and half unit of economics
• Physical education, the state requires a half unit; Rogers requires a full unit
• Health and safety, half unit
• Fine arts, half unit
• Career focus, six units
"*" Rogers requires 24 credits to graduate instead of the state’s requirement of 22.
Source: Staff Report
This story is only available from our archives.