Springdale mom urges recess before lunchtime

Students eat more, perform better, she says

Posted: December 7, 2012 at 2:42 a.m.

NWA Media/ANTHONY REYES Tristen Lopez, 11, leaps from the slide Wednesday Dec. 5, 2012 during recess at Harp Elementary in Springdale. The Springdale Coordinated Health group will discuss whether children playing before lunch encourages them to eat better.

A Springdale mother hopes to generate interest among elementary schools in scheduling recess before lunch.

Northwest Arkansas, Pages 9 on 12/07/2012

CDC: Language barrier caused Tyson chlorine g...

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a chlorine gas leak at an Arkansas poultry plant last year that sickened nearly 200 people occurred because a worker cou... Read »

Open-records law held to be constitutional

The state Supreme Court on Thursday unanimously overturned a circuit court’s ruling that the Freedom of Information Act is unconstitutional because it is too vague and over... Read »

I heartily agree! My children can barely sit still through lunch, and sometimes they don't eat as much as they need to in the barely 20 minutes they have for eating because they're too fidgety.

Posted by: MadScientistK

December 7, 2012 at 7:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Eat in 5 minutes of silence. SERIOUSLY?

Posted by: shorenuff

December 7, 2012 at 8:36 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

Sit down, shut up, and eat your gruel. Think that was from David Copperfield.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 7, 2012 at 12:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Why don't we look at Finland, whose kids usually test at the top in international tests. They have lots of recesses during the day, and I'm sure they don't expect Finnish children to wolf down their food in 5 minutes.
These elementary students are not slaves or prisoners, they are our children!
And learning is not a mechanical process, like poouring the information down a funnel.

Posted by: Coralie

December 7, 2012 at 1:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Kindergarten starting at three and school throughout the year.... but it is going to have to be funded....

Posted by: Tankersley101

December 7, 2012 at 2:23 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Home schoolers finish better than all of them and don't even get recess. Some of them even get firearm training in the 5th grade. We need more TigerMoms.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 7, 2012 at 5:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Home school runs the gamut. Why wouldn't they get recess?
I used to read a home schooliing magazine (for a broader audience of home schooling families, not just Christian home schoolers) and I think most of the articles and letters reflected an attitude more lilke the Finnish educators than like yours, Moneymyst.
Why are you so in love with guns?

Posted by: Coralie

December 8, 2012 at 1:34 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Tank, your prescription might be needed if all mothers are in the workforce and need childcare. But between automation and outsourcing, I wonder if unemployment rates will ever go back down to a decent level?
I would consider a decent level to be what it was during World War II--in 1945, it was 1.9%.

Posted by: Coralie

December 8, 2012 at 1:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

A lot of mothers--I've known some--would rather stay home with their kids or work part-time until the children are going to school full-time at 6 or 7.
I don't think school is necessarily the best option for the youngest kids.
The reason many parents homeschool is that they believe their children aren't ready for school, or won't thrive in school. This includes many kids who are under-sized, shy, unusually bright or creative, maturing slowlly, or maybe highly energetic and likely to get misdiagnosed as hyperactive.

Posted by: Coralie

December 8, 2012 at 1:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Tank, youwant the education system to be like the Army.
Moneymyst, you seem to want a training ground for militias.

Posted by: Coralie

December 8, 2012 at 1:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Coralie,

I'm not sure what you mean by "youwant the education system to be like the Army". If you are reffering to the DODDS, they have a normal school year just like other public schools. If you meant I'de like to see a regimented system, I don't know what to tell you.

My wife is a stay at home mom, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the Army. My son goes to public schools. I want to him to have as much interaction with other kids as possible. However, I do have friends the homeschool their kids because the are not satisfied with the lack of quality in some public schools (even though DODDS shells out money to local school systems to offset the costs of military dependants enrolled in towns near military installations) and private schools are very expensive.

Posted by: Tankersley101

December 8, 2012 at 2:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

20 reasons I "love" and depend on a handgun:

1. Phasers are not reliable
2. I don't have claws like a cat
3. I don't have fangs like a dog
4. I can't fire a stink bomb at you like a skunk
5. I can't poisen like a snake
6. I can't run like a horse
7. I can't fly away like a bird
8. Dead people can't call police
9. Police response time is too late to save your life
10. All people in this world are not as nice as Coralie
11. Criminals have guns
12. Firearms are the great equalizer, woman is equal to any man
13. If someone attempts to do you harm with a knife and you use a gun, they are outnumbered
14. A firearm can be used to defend your property, spit cannot
15. Bows and arrows are designed to cause death by bleeding, one hasn't that much time
16. BB guns could be used to shoot their eyes out, but one would have to be a really good shot
17. Average response time to resdential security alarm is 20 minutes, what will you do in the meantime?
18. Firearms can be used for agression or defense, you choose, not the gun
19. The United States Air Force issues each of their F-16 pilots a handgun for defense; the F-16 is for agression
20. I don't trust government, any government

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 8, 2012 at 3:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Well, maybe everybody is out to get you, Moneymyst.
In 82 years I've never had to use a weapon of any sort against anybody. So by the odds, MOST people are as nice as I am.

Posted by: Coralie

December 9, 2012 at 3:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Tank, kids going to school from age 3 and all year long does sound pretty regimented to me.
Here's how they do it in Finland:

Posted by: Coralie

December 9, 2012 at 3:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

82nd congratulations, however, odds are catching up with you.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 9, 2012 at 4:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Well, actuarial odds but not the odds of people using deadly weapons against me (with the exception of cars).
I don't tread on the toes of the crimiinally insane (unless I'm doing so here online) and I've very little worth stealing.

Posted by: Coralie

December 11, 2012 at 1:34 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Move to Pine Bluff and you will carry a firearm.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 11, 2012 at 1:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

well, the new results are out. Arkansas is in the bottom 5 states in health in the USA.
lets take a lesson from some of the top 5 states to see how our children can be healthier. one of the ways was certainly better education of nutrition and exercise. another recommended way was to allow the state to expand the medicaid plan as the ACA will certainly boost arkansas up significiantly on the list.
we all know without good health care children will do poorly in school. i say that is the real reason for the problems in the lunch and recess times.

Posted by: ladyLiberty

December 11, 2012 at 3:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Could be English as a second language.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 11, 2012 at 4:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Coralie, I might suggest you've never had to use a weapon against anyone because they would first have to listen to you...a fate too horrible to imagine.

By the way, the "preview comment" button has a definite purpose.

Posted by: patrioteer

December 11, 2012 at 11:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Patrioteer, you're evidently another one of those whose main method of argument is by personal insult.
Have you got anything else?

Posted by: Coralie

December 13, 2012 at 2:02 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

So is Pine Bluff more dangerous than Chicago, Cleveland, or San Diego--all cities where I've lived?
Or than Newtown, CT?

Posted by: Coralie

December 15, 2012 at 11:17 a.m. ( | suggest removal )

I think that Newtown, CT may be one of the most dangerous places in the US to live yesterday, not today. Today, Pine Bluff is.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 15, 2012 at 4:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Now, why Pine Bluff?

Acording to Forbes, Pine Bluff is the third poorest city in the whole United States. Pine Bluff is a perfect example of a city that has been destroyed by "thugs" of gang members, or urban youth. Pine Bluff elected a convited felon to run their city. The young thugs of Pine Bluff steal from their neighbors, shoot and kill each other, steal from any one that has something, and will kill you to find out if you do actually have something. Pine Bluff is known as "Crime Bluff."

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 15, 2012 at 4:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Too bad you don't live in Paragould.
If you're a 70-year-old birdwatcher, you can't walk down the street with impunity.
+++
Pine Bluff does have a high rate of crime compared with other cities:
"Worst Small Cities for Crime (<200,000 pop.)
1.Topeka, KS
Topeka has the highest rate of property crime among cities with fewer than 200,000 population. The rates of larceny and robbery are especially high.
2.Pine Bluff, AR
Pine Bluff has a high rate of murder and the ninth-highest rate of robbery in the nation."
The most crime free cities are mostly in the Northeast.
Go North, young man!

Posted by: Coralie

December 19, 2012 at 5:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

Topeka, now there is a town to die in. Sorry, Pine Bluff.

Posted by: Moneymyst

December 19, 2012 at 5:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal )