(Advertisement)

CDC: Language Barrier Caused Chlorine Gas Leak

Posted: December 7, 2012 at 3:46 a.m.

An employee at the Tyson Plant on Berry Street in Springdale passed out after being exposed to chlorine gas at the plant on June 27, 2011. She was given oxygen by other employees from the plant.

A chlorine gas leak that sickened nearly 200 people at a Tyson Foods plant in Springdale last year occurred because a worker who couldn’t read the English-language label on a barrel of chemicals inadvertently poured bleach into it, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in a report released Thursday.

This story is only available from our archives.

(Advertisement)



« Previous Story

Public Meetings

Today 8 a.m. Fayetteville Forward Green Economy Group — Chamber of Commerce, 123 W. Mountain St. Read »

Next Story »

Crafts Teach Students the Business of Busines...

Student Erica Estrada, left, shows Karen Steen, Heritage High School principal, some of the baked goods for sale on Thursday at the “Simply Bazaar” event in Rogers.

Learning took the form of a craft bazaar at The Annex on Thursday afternoon. Read »

Here's a quote from the actual report:

"Of the 545 workers who participated in the evaluation, three developed reactive airways dysfunction syndrome (RADS), an irritant-induced form of asthma that can persist for life. The worker who inadvertently mixed the two solutions indicated that the drum was labeled in English but he could only read Spanish. This incident underscores the danger posed by chlorine gas and the importance of employers providing adequate training and communication of health and safety precautions to employees."

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/...

Posted by: cdawg

December 7, 2012 at 3:18 p.m. ( | suggest removal )

It underscores the negligence of Tyson in placing this person in charge of mixing dangerious materials. I smell a big, and I mean big, lawsuit on its way.

Posted by: JailBird

December 7, 2012 at 4:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal )