Child left in car dies
Posted: August 3, 2012 at 5:29 p.m.
Updated: August 3, 2012 at 8:02 p.m.
A two-year-old boy died Friday afternoon after his great-grandparents left him in a car for more than two hours.
Children In Cars
Even in cool temperatures, cars can heat up to dangerous temperatures quickly. With the windows cracked open, interior temperatures can rise almost 20 degrees within the first 10 minutes. Anyone left inside is at risk for serious heat-related illnesses or even death. Children who are left unattended in parked cars are at greatest risk for heat stroke and death.
When traveling with children:
w Never leave infants, children or pets in a parked car, even if the windows are cracked open.
w To remind yourself that a child is in the car, keep a stuffed animal in the car seat. When the child is buckled in, place the stuffed animal in the front with the driver.
w When leaving your car, check to be sure everyone is out of the car. Do not overlook any children who have fallen asleep in the car.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
This story is only available from our archives.